Shortage of Higher Octane Fuel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortage of Higher Octane Fuel??

Well rather luckily I haven't had the S2 for about 2 weeks now (), but I have noticed that everytime I go to the petrol station, whether its a shell, BP or Tesco garage, none of their higher octane fuel is available.

I am in West London and I assumed it was a problem just contained to this area, however I was in south Wales last week and they didn't have any V power/ 99 Ron / BP Ultimate either....

Is anyone else experiencing this? When I get the car back on friday I want to be able to sustain its drinking habit.

In the mean time however I am having a driving around in a bmw 130i. I can honestly say that this thing will give an S2 a run for its money, I'm seriously impressed.

I went to my local Shell garage on saturday and nearly the pumps inc the high octane was shut so i filled up with regular,i asked on paying was they low on fuel and they said they had plenty but the was a problem with it so could not sell it,so i dont know whats going on.
    Quattro Corner Audi OEM Parts

Comment

Both our local Tescos had carrier bags on the 99 pumps this weekend
      '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

You can get the octane booster additive to put into your fuel from halfords and the like. think its about ÂŁ5 for a bottle to treat 275 litres of fuel and translates as roughly the same cost as getting 97ron overall
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thanks Greg, it looks like I may have to buy myself some of this if I can't find any decent fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
            You can get the octane booster additive to put into your fuel from halfords and the like. think its about ÂŁ5 for a bottle to treat 275 litres of fuel and translates as roughly the same cost as getting 97ron overall
            Mmmm i take it you didn't see 5th Gear last week,they did a test on all the best sellers and they all reduced the bhp and not increase it!!!!!!!

Comment

Pete, surely you don't believe stuff they test on 5th gear?

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Pete, surely you don't believe stuff they test on 5th gear?

this was an independent test done on a proper test rigg and scientists etc no bulls--t!

Comment

ah ok, as long as it wasn't lumped in on the back of one of their supercar practicality tests

I wouldn't buy the crap off the shelf at Halfrauds, but proper octane booster does work - i.e. Toluene

They used to use it mixed with 'normal' petrol to fuel F1 cars in years gone by
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Reeve View Post
                    Mmmm i take it you didn't see 5th Gear last week,they did a test on all the best sellers and they all reduced the bhp and not increase it!!!!!!!
                    Nope im about 4 episodes behind on 5th gear at min so still catching up on them. Bit of a shame if they all reduced power though.
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Reeve View Post
                      I went to my local Shell garage on saturday and nearly the pumps inc the high octane was shut...
                      Likewise, and given your location I imagine it was a different filling station. I went in to the shop at mine 'coz I needed a couple of things anyway and they had suffered a complete power failure to the pumps and/or computers - you could see into the back office and there were a couple of very stressed techies with test kit. A couple of weeks later 75% of the pumps were closed off because - and I asked after filling up at one of the few which was open - they were pretty much out of fuel.

My local Tesco on the other hand doesn't seem to run out (Buncefield type events not withstanding) but does have massive queues.

Ck.
                      Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

Working...
                      X