HELP PLEASE! Car won't start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE! Car won't start...

I got in the old girl today to find that when I try to start her all I could hear when I turned the key was the solinoid click but the starter did not seem to turn. I've tried rocking the car to see if the pin had got stuck but this did not work.

Firstly, where is the starter on these cars. I've not got a manual (something to correct today I think). Any pictures would be great!

Secondly, apart from checking the connections to the battery and hitting the starter with increasingly large hammers what are your suggestions?

Please

The starter is located on the driverside,not sure but Ithink you may have to remove the undertray to get at it. Check earth strap of starter and battery, or as you say tapp it with a hammer, or rock it back and forth in gear, might be that the bendix is stuck.

Comment

When was the car last used as if its been a while could be that the battery is not quite 100%, have you tried to bump start it then stop and try to start it again and see if that works?

Comment

the same thing happend to my s4. i just took the starter off and checked the brushes and thay were ok. then oiled the pin and all the moveing parts so thay were nice and free. put it back together and it worked ok.
        i think what the problem is the fact the starter is rite next to the exhaust system, the starter gets hot and the inside gets dry and sticks.

cheers adam
        cheeRS adam

RS2+

Comment

Cheers lads.

I've removed the starter but in doing so I've sheared the +ve terminal bolt off the solinoid. Going to replace the whole thing with a new one (approx £150) so that I've got no more worries this winter with it. Plus it always used to sound a bit weak when turning the old girl over.

CHEERS!

Comment

Mine was playing up and gave up at the same time my dizzy gear collapsed, I ended up with one off a 20v.

Comment

SORTED! New (re-conned) starter fitted at last. Lots of blood, sweat and 4 letter words but she now starts like a dream. There is a surprising improvement!

Cheers for all the help. God I love this forum!

Now... COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Comment

Working...
              X