Jack Pads - best 30 quid I ever spent on a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Pads - best 30 quid I ever spent on a car

I first discovered 'jack pads' after battling with the stupid pinch weld locations on the B6S4 for jacking the car. The B7 RS4 was equipped with nice jack pads on the sill area which solved this problem and they can be retrofitted to the B6 - its a bit involved with drilling and modifying of undertrays for clearance. The C7 machines have their own alternative approach, but I end up with a collection of different rubber inserts for my trolley jack(s) depending on what is getting lifted.

On the S3 there is a much simpler solution as there was jack pads on the Mk1 TT. Each pad consists of a sturdy rubber bung which replaces one of the grommets under the floor and an insert piece provides the robust pad for a jack to lift each corner. They would also work with a two post lift very nicely.

The rubber bung is 8N0 804 583
    The insert is 8N0 803 855
    4 of each is required, total price from TPS about 28 quid including the VAT

Fitting them is a doddle, with lifting action from the jack squeezing them into place with a satisfying noise. It took me longer to clean up the jack pad area, prep, POR15 and a good dollop of underseal than fit the things. I can post photos if anyone needs them but its pretty straightforward. Now its so much easier to whizz the jack under the car and lift any given corner without fiddling around on that pinch weld... I've seen loads of Audis with mashed pinch welds so this is a really nice simple mod in OE+ style.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Few pics attached - makes it easier to understand.

5169 - rear left side fitted
    5171 - rear right side before fitment
    5172 - loose items - one bush and one insert
    5174 - front right side before fitment
    5175 - front right side fitted
    Attached Files
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I agree and think these are a great idea with some caveats. Similar to jacking an aircraft or cradling a ship, this (lifting) needs to be done with some knowledge, patience and due care; every time.

When I want to assess a car or understand the care a vehicle may have received, I go look at the seam welds & floor pan for exactly the kind of damage you may have seen. I have long used hockey pucks and purpose made wood blocks whether using a 4-armed lift or a floor jack to achieve a quarter century of no damage (by me) whatsoever. The pucks, blocks and the little routine I go through allow me to spread the load widely yet shoulder right up against the inside of those big, long, standing-seams. I think few appreciate how vulnerable and delicate this vital area is to the life of the vehicle and the performance of the whole torsion box/shell.

Just try opening and closing a door with one wheel off the ground.

Certainly these will provide some relief to those who like myself seldom and only with reluctance and when forced (i.e. when you're travelling), ever allow anyone else to work on their vehicles.

Because they are an OE item, after your 1st post, thought they may have instructions/precautions as to their factory reco'd use for those who may not understand their limitations and found this on another forum which read in part:

"OFFICIAL VW word: Just went to see a friend at the dealership. He showed me a memo regarding these pads. As the update says, they are to be used when lifting the entire vehicle using a floor lift. When used all together, they distribute the weight of the vehicle and don't cause harm. But if you use one at a time, you are putting too much weight on one point and will bend the floor pan. "

I think use of all 4 together all at once may be fine, use of less than 4 at once -might- not always be.

Comment

Working...
      X