Audi s3 flywheel play how much tolarence , look video please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
    I also think it's abuse that kills them. Sitting in traffic dragging the clutch, holding the car on hill with clutch, rather than the handbrake, that sort of thing.

6k rpm clutch sidesteps and hard launches are ok IME.

Our S3 was driven for ~80k km by someone in London, by 95k and its 3rd run up the strip in '07, the DM flywheel and clutch broke in spectacular fashion. So needed its 3rd clutch.

Our A3 owned since '02 needed its 2nd clutch after 250k km, and ~10 years of hard driving and hard launches. But only because the release bearing/slave cylinder broke from towing the S3. The DM was still fine, but I prefer SM flywheels.

Also consider that our A3 makes more power and way more torque than the S3, yet use the same clutch and flywheel. Anyone that knows my girlfriend will know how much 'punishment' the A3 got in its lifetime.
    I am convinced the S3's clutch failed on us because the damage was already done. I think the springs in the DM flywheel must get hot from clutch dragging, get weak, then fails.
    how many hp your a3 have? , you mean if the clutch slip a lot it will over heat the flywheel and weaken the springs inside it? , u give me good idea to avoid parking the car in up hills and rely on the gear instead of hand brake

Comment

Dyno'd at 231bhp@6k 332Nm@3k.
      SS

Comment

The dualmass let go on my 1.9tdi a few days before christmas and it actually jammed the whole engine solid against the starter(luckily the can wasnt running and when i tried to start it, it was solid.) It was totally done and that was after 90,000miles 20K of which were me although the symptoms were there for at least 15K. The symptoms were it was very easy to stall when it had been sitting for a while and also when changing gear it seemed easier to drive smoother. I guess this was one of the springs had broken and the damping was really light. I only realised how bad the car was when i changed it. I did the clutch as well although it was still fine.

Comment

Originally posted by martinws View Post
          The dualmass let go on my 1.9tdi a few days before christmas and it actually jammed the whole engine solid against the starter(luckily the can wasnt running and when i tried to start it, it was solid.) It was totally done and that was after 90,000miles 20K of which were me although the symptoms were there for at least 15K. The symptoms were it was very easy to stall when it had been sitting for a while and also when changing gear it seemed easier to drive smoother. I guess this was one of the springs had broken and the damping was really light. I only realised how bad the car was when i changed it. I did the clutch as well although it was still fine.
          aha , was shifting hard or smooth when flywheel was bad?

Comment

Working...
          X