2001 Audi S3 8l Turbo Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Audi S3 8l Turbo Problems

Hey guys, got my S3 Head off finally to investigate internal damage as my Turbo decided to fall apart on me before last christmas. Problem i have is, On checking the head and bores etc, i found the pistons are slopping about a fair bit in the bores, my question is, does anyone know the approximate Bore to Piston Clearances, so i can check them???
    The car has done 110k now and until this episode, no problems, i would appreciate if anyone can help as ive done no end oif Googling to no avail on this subject.
    Cheers in advance guys ( Sorry, its Not S2 related )

bore to piston clarence... over 10/100 mm you may hear the knokkin when its cold engine...if you may feel the worn sylinder in the top of sylinder, may ca 1 cm under the gasged topof block, i will recomend rebore... what are the prob with your engine.. no oilpressure; its commen on theese engine.. oilpump are gone, and may the bearings too...or you does have oil in the expander chamber/ cooling system.. the oilcooler under oilfilter may gone bad.. ( little gray metal box, with 2 pipes on)

Comment

Hi, i regards to the piston to bore clearance, are you meaning that, if more than 10 thousands inch gap, bore is too worn?? what is maximum gap on S3 ??

Comment

what problem DO you have then?? bad noise or ?? you have thorn down the engine with that low milage...

Comment

Id be very surprised with such miles on a wellcared for engine if there would be any notable wear on the bottom end.

Comment

Turbo gone and spit bits of exhaust turbine wheel around my engine!! This is the reason for the head coming off but on strip down , found chip marks in both cylinder head and crowns of pistons!! I am now going to have to check intercoolers, pipework, sump etc as the bits must have gone somewhere??
            Puzzled how bits of my turbo have entered the engine as it was the exhaust impeller which broke up?? and not the intake impeller which is perfectly ok. I thought the shrapnel would have gone into the exhaust?? This is how i found a fair bit of movement with the pistons!! But today, i have been told not to worry too much about some play in that department as there is normally a fair bit of movement apparently??Engine has just done 109,000 miles, so not mega high.

Comment

"Turbo gone and spit bits of exhaust turbine wheel around my engine!..." ok.. change the turbo; i denay there are some bit of the exosturbine in the engine...have the engine together; change the oil, and filter, i think the engine are ok......clean out the cooler , if there are som oilslush in, block of the engine vent, so you have a catchtank for this...voila

Comment

When the turbo blew, it forced the TIP Rubber hose to blow off and rip the pipe on the intake side of the turbo and the hydraulic lifters were tapping like mad and i had loss off power and cutting off revs and stalling after a few metres. The funny thing is, when i pulled the car in my garage last week to investigate what damage my engine had, the car started up perfectly with no tapping at all?? Obviously, the turbo was making that silly whining sound when revved do to the Impeller breaking up but the turbo bearing had not collapsed and looked ok actually.
                I do have a 1ltr Catch Tank fitted too, so will clean that out but what really worries me know, is the fact that bits of Impeller have been forced through the engine and actually marked the head and crowns of the pistons.

Comment

ok, never heard about sutch failure..have you pics of this..let us se them..please

Comment

Pistons And Head S3 Quattro Pics Of Damage

Well as promised, Pics of Head and Piston Damage to my S3 after Turbine wheel Breaking up!!! Didnt think it would all return inside my engine!! Thought it would have blown through Exhaust system???
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by audimaniac; 24 February 2014, 18:14.

Comment

Working...
                    X