Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S3 Head And Piston Damage From Turbine Breaking Up !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 Head And Piston Damage From Turbine Breaking Up !!

Well as promised, Pics of Head and Piston Damage to my S3 after Turbine wheel Breaking up!!! Didnt think it would all return inside my engine!! Thought it would have blown through Exhaust system??? or has something else been going off here too??
    Attached Files
    Last edited by audimaniac; 24 February 2014, 19:01.

Looks to me like the engine ingested something, probably pretty small, and then it went out the exhaust and did a death dance on the turbine. As you say, I've never seen a straight-up turbine failure damage an engine.

Is it possible a small nut or bolt got left in, or fell into, the intake manifold?
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.
    Eric Law
    '90 80Q with AAN and Megasquirt
    '97 Saab 9000 Aero: mostly stock but ECU tweaks to add fastness
    '86 4KTQ: R.I.P.

Comment

That's a bolt in your intake.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

What's the compressor like?

Comment

Are all the pistons damaged or just one?
          1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

have you seen any of the small parts who have been in the sylinder/ piston??? are the small part magnetic or?? newer seen a exost impeller like this broken like this....or if you take the axostpipin of, there are small parts in, lik a screw or a nut, or the clammer of the airfilterhousing or likeli???? -think you do have some part goin thru the engine..- se in the cooler. it may be some more parts in..( need some flushing for sure, for old oil and dirt...

Comment

Totally stumped, looked in manifolds and cannot see anything?? Any ideas??

Comment

All four pistons have marks including all four heads around valve areas

Comment

Compressor side of turbine wheel is unmarked and bearing is not too bad either??

Comment

I will investigate the issue of a stray nut/bolt getting into intake further but god knows how??

Comment

Well pistons will go again with fresh rings, or if theyre 20mm wrist pins probably got a set on the shelf.

Cylinderhead can be fixed easily.

As for damage what turbo is it and what power where you making? I've seen damage like that the wheel when the blades have hit the sides through bearing wear or broken up from overspinning.

Damage inside chambers is equivalent to a spark plug tip letting go. Without investigating the valve and seat damage it is difficult to tell from which ends the debris came from. However it is possible for it to make it's way back from the exhaust back into the chamber due to the nature of cam vs crank position on a 4 stroke engine.
                      UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Hi JP
                        The S3 has a Dave Leeming Re-map to 280 BHP and has been fine for two years since the mapping was done, checked the Turbo bearing and its still intact and the same with the Intake Impeller, there was some end float and movement though in the shaft.
                        I forgot to mention that when the car initially pooped itself, the TIP Rubber Intake hose blew clean off the turbo and was damaged beyond using again, would this be significant info as to an initial cause ???

Comment

Intake pipe blowing of is a backfire. What condition the sparkplugs in? Where there any missfires?

I'd take the injectors and get them tested incase one of them is partially stuck open causing an explosion imthe exhaust mani which would cause that to happen aswell.
                          UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

If it blew off at max boost it could have overspeeded the turbo and shat itself.
                            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Hey JP, Checked the Spark plug tips and all still there intact, Found nothing at all yet in pipework but getting back to just before the TIP Blew off and split, the car was running lovely and i had only set off briskly and Not giving full boost so i am suprised so much damage has occured in the engine, my initial thoughts were, just fit a new turbo etc, only to find all this!! When you mentioned about re-using pistons and replacing rings?? Do you reckon it will need rings as the car was Not Smoking at all, apart from noisey hydraulic lifters which did eventually settle down again?? but when it first happened, i had a replacement TIP of which i fitted and took for a short run down the road but the car was cutting out and stalling?? No Smoking at all though??
                              The car was then parked up for about three months until i moved it into my garage to strip and funny thing is you wouldnt have known that anything was wrong, apart from the whoosing high pitched whine from the turbo and drove into the garage ticking over perfect and No stalling??
                              Do you reckon i will get away with the rings?? The other question is, would it have bent any valves as not stripped the head yet??

Comment

Working...
                              X