Dest's RS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dest's RS4

I know a few people on here are interested in how I get on with it, and how it compares to my S4, so Ill post the comparison I did on AudiSRS and keep this thread updated with photos if people want

Spec at present:
    Gutted DP's
    Non res cat back Milltek
    Tanoga short shifter
    H&R ARB's front & rear
    Uprated oil cooler
    B7 RS4 front brakes
    Custom MRC remap

Ive not got much planned for future mods, but they are:
    New double din headunit (Alpine or similar)
    H&R springs (just ordered this evening!)
    Spacers (front & rear)
    LCR front splitter

Bits that need tidying/replacing:
    New rear door triangles
    Rear ashtray cover
    Coolant header tank
    Respray rear bumper/inserts

First off, looks.
    As much as I loved the S4, and still do, the RS4 is in another league!
    It reminds me of when I had my Cosworth; it gets noticed!! Such as at the Shell garage yesterday, I heard a lad shout to his mate "Check out that RS4!"
    No one ever commented on the S4. It certainly gets people looking at it on the road too, but they do have plenty of road presence with those arches
    Some serious curves on this car, after washing it today I realised just how curvy they are compared to an S4.

Driving.
    My S4 had 225/40/18, the RS has 255/40/18, that coupled with the slightly wider track makes it feel a lot more sure footed and solid.
    The S4 had Eibach coilovers with Hotchkis RARB. I loved the firm ride it gave, but I seem to be prefering the slightly softer ride now, so am just going for some H&R springs to lower it a bit.
    Power wise, I was expecting the RS to feel slower, (S4 approx 500bhp, RS approx 440) but have to say, they both feel very similar.
    The S4 felt a bit more responsive/punchy, but Id put that down the S4's FMIC. That made a really noticable difference when it was fitted.
    The power seems to come in with a bigger surge, especially when changing to 4th and flooring it!
    Both cars have a fairly different power delivery, I wouldnt be able to say which I prefer though as theyre both really good.

Brakes.
    The S4 had B5 RS4 front and rear, which were ok but didnt take much to get fade, the B7's are much better!

Sound.
    I LOVED the S4, the sound was one of the things I loved most about it!
    I was worried the RS wouldnt sound as good, but it does.
    However, they are both very different.
    The S4 was loud and deep with a little rasp when on full boost, it sounded awesome no question.
    The RS is slightly quiter, but deeper. The S4 never suffered from it being boomy, but the RS does at certain revs but its not annoying.

Summary.
    I was quite worried about the gamble I was making selling the S4, as I REALLY loved it, and still do! I was really hoping that Id be able to get a decent RS but on a limited budget, which was'nt going to be easy. When I looked at that RS on autotrader I have to say I did ask myself if I was making the right move if that is the sort of thing Id have to choose from!
    However, Ive always wanted an RS4, and as its my all time favourite Audi, I knew I had to take the plunge while prices were close to what I could afford.
    Im 100% happy with the one I got, and after sorting the little bits and bobs and some subtle mods/improvements I VERY glad I went for it.

So, to anyone else thinking of doing the same, all Ive got to say is.... DO IT!!!!!!!!!

The only car I would consider to an alternative to my S2

Looks spot on that
    sigpic
    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Well, the S4 is a very nice stepping stone in between the S2 and RS4!

Comment

Don't you mean "Dest's RS 4"?
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I loved your s4 salon but I'm an estate only kind of guy. I really don't like the the back of the S4 avant, it looks dated to me somehow a lot more so than the S2 in my humble opinion.
          sigpic

Comment

No, Im not that ****!

Comment

I agree, the S4 Avant can look a little plain, especially without an RS4 spoiler added on

Comment

Dest,

Glad it's as good as you thought.

Thanks for posting the feedback on the differences, between the two cars.

I for one will be more than happy to read further future updates, with photos.

Kind regards.

Comment

"road presence " that's the word Dest, Awesome car mate !
                  For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

Originally posted by gripper View Post
                    "road presence " that's the word Dest, Awesome car mate !
                    They do look insanely fat from the back, quite bold styling for Audi I think yet still somehow understated. Brilliant
                    sigpic

Comment

A lowered one with spacers looks insanely wide from the back!!
                      Mine will have both soon

Comment

Do it

is the rs4 et20?

I'm sure there is black s2 avant with a reg 1 letter different to mine that has rs4 arches grafted onto it?

only saw it from the side anybody got a shot of it from the back?
                        Last edited by rj scotty; 21 January 2012, 22:38.
                        sigpic

Comment

try searching posts by s2bug and I think mark something as I think they owned the one your on about.

Comment

Not sure on the ET.
                            If its the S2 Im thinking of, its got Montego arches!

Comment

Looks lovely Dest, my favorite colour too

Interesting you say how it feels more planted with the wider track, was one of things that really impressed me with your S4 was how tight and precise it felt. If it were me i wouldnt mess with H&R's, either leave it stock or fit coilovers as per the S4. Either way looking forward to see where you take this car
                              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Working...
                              X