Gunman's B5 1.9tdi quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunman's B5 1.9tdi quattro

As some of you may have read, I have been considering swapping the 80 tdi for an A4 tdi quattro. Yesterday I decided that there was enough considering and I would go ahead. Picked up the car yesterday and as promised, here's a couple of pics:

and the poor old 80, gazing on at it's replacement:

The car has more stone chips than I've seen on a car before, a previous owner must have made a habit of tailgating! I dont like the wheels and they aren't in good order anyway. I have a set of B6 A4 sport rims that I use for winter tyres on my wife's car that I think I'll use as they are in much better order. The colour of the car tends to show up dirt quite a bit too, I washed and polished it yesterday then drove about 20 miles and you wouldn't know I'd bothered. Think this shows up the paint chips and scratches more too.

There's a few things to do, but isn't there always?
    1996 Audi S6 Avant.
    1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Will be interested to hear your feedback on how you get on with the B5, as you've had B4s and C4s.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
      Will be interested to hear your feedback on how you get on with the B5, as you've had B4s and C4s.

Regards.

I know, I've had nothing but them for the last 10 years, a bit nervous about this one
      1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

looks like a nice honest car

the red one looks a bit left out!

Comment

ohh I like the colour..
          shes an early one as well and I see you have a sunroof. does it have climate?
          1997 A4 avant 110 TDI Quattro

Comment

No climate. Has a glass sunroof.
            1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Originally posted by gunman View Post
              No climate. Has a glass sunroof.
              yea thats what I thought it would be.
              my cars the same.
              I would have loved climate but was just happy to find a 1.9 tdi quattro avant local to me.

Comment

These do take a bit of getting used to after the 80. The driving position is very different, everything seems "lower" if you know what I mean.

I couldn't get used to the driving position at first, kept adjusting the seat but couldn't get comfy. Then I made a discovery which helped no end, the steering column doesnt just adjust up and down but pulls out towards you. Can actually lie back at a most comfortable 45 degrees and still reach the wheel now.

It is a lot firmer and I don't think the seats or the ride are as comfy as the 80, but that's the trade off for the handling which is night and day!

Haven't had to work on it too much yet, going to do a timing belt next week hopefully so we'll see. As for economy, I'm averaging 40mpg on commuting, which is 22mpg more than I got from my S2 or current S6 and very similar to the 80.
                1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

im getting around 45 to 47 mixed driving but I think thats due to the remapped ecu
                  its years since ive had an 80 so hard to compare them. but my quattro handles a lot better than my fwd

Comment

Yeah, but I only drive 6 miles to work, 4 of them are through town traffic. I have never got economy like others quote. My old 80 tdi got me 38mpg commuting but got over 60mpg on a motorway run. When I got the car at the weekend I was getting mid 50's as I wasn't sitting in traffic all the time.
                    1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

on a run im getting around 57 to 60 when the wifes using it for work which like you is town driving its around 44

Comment

Working...
                      X