Brake bleeding. B5 RS4 help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake bleeding. B5 RS4 help please

Hi all. Changing a seized rear calliper tomorrow on my B5 RS4 and I like the help on this forum so thought I would ask here.

I wanted to check the order. I have read it's rear right, rear left, front right and then front left.

I have also read that they have separate pipes so if I am changing one calliper I only need to bleed that calliper !!!!!

I have a pressure bleed kit that works from a tyre and having used it before know that I need to have just a little pressure from the tyre not loads. Just wanted to confirm the order and check if what I read about doing just one was true.

Cheers

Just remember to bleed the rears with the handbrake OFF - I wasted an afternoon some years ago fighting with rears that wouldnt bleed correctly then realised I had left the handbrake on - duhhh.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I know that on my A3 from the same era I have found the working from the furthest brake from the master cylinder, then working towards it works best.
      I also found that bleeding while the engine is running negates the need for VCDS.
      HTH
      SS

Comment

Cheers. From what I have read I think I have the order as above starting with furthest from M/C. Handbrake will be off. All the info on VCDS says I only need to do that if the system has been allowed to go dry which it won't. So should be ok on that front.

Comment

On our B6 you need to use 2 bar of pressure to bleed the ABS unit correctly due to the ESP system. not sure if the B5 cars have this?
          Anyway, I always bleed the master cylinder then start at the furthest bleeding point and work your way back. The pipe routing will dictate which the furthest away is of course
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

if it has esp from memory it needs cycling (spl) in vagcom

the tyre bleed kits need to only have around 4psi in them as it cracks the fluid reservoir - btdt

Comment

As long as you don't let it run dry, you will be fine bleeding it in the order you suggested. It is very rare you need to cycle the abs pump via vagcom.

Don't pressure the bottle up, if it's original it will split at about 10psi.
              Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Cheers Chris. I take it's not worth trying to use a pressure bleeder on a low pressure setting at all and use the old method of pedal power and a mate then.

Comment

Pedal power & a mate has never failed me yet
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    Pedal power & a mate has never failed me yet
                    It's all I ever use too.
                    SS

Comment

Cheers all. Will get some more pics of the car tomorrow with standard
                      Wheels back on.

Comment

Working...
                      X