No announcement yet.

Weird crankshaft in my AAN engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, to add, engine has been opened already.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
      A 2.0 NM crank would explain the shorter stroke...

It must seriously lower the compression being 6mm off deck height so unless you want a much lower compression ratio for some reason then I'd want the correct crankshaft.

7A, RR, 3B, ABY, AAN and ADU all use the same crank.
      Yes, compression was low, around 4, but the compression rings were really bad too.

So, any of those engine codes can do? Are they all forged?

Because I ran into info that basically any crankshaft from I5 would work.

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
        did you run this engine or buy it used ?
        I bough the car. I drove it a little. It worked, but had low compression.

Comment

Anyone here has 7A, RR, 3B, ABY, AAN or ADU crank, forged (I guess all are?) for sale?

EU only.

Drop me a message.

Comment

if your piston is 6mm under the top of the block at tdc i would ask some questions how it ran.
            anyway the crankshafts are not the same in all 5 inline engines so there are some details that you want to pay antention. not all 7a, rr cranks are forged.
            if your not planing running crazy power get a crank from ng2 engine its not forged but cost alomoast nothing.

Comment

Yes, as far as I'm aware all the 2226 CC engines use the same forged crank.

It's possible the one from a 2301 CC 10 valve NG engine may also be the same as they used the same block casting as the 2226 engines, not sure if they used a different stroke or larger diameter pistons to gain the extra 75cc.

I can check the bore diameters as I have both blocks/cranks in my workshop, they're both already sold however.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
                if your piston is 6mm under the top of the block at tdc i would ask some questions how it ran.
                anyway the crankshafts are not the same in all 5 inline engines so there are some details that you want to pay antention. not all 7a, rr cranks are forged.
                if your not planing running crazy power get a crank from ng2 engine its not forged but cost alomoast nothing.
                It ran. I can post a video, I drove it. It lacked power, but it ran.

I’m gonna go for bigger power in the long run, I’ve already bought forged rods, so cast crank is a big no for me, but don’t know how can I know which one is forged, except visually, since they all have the same number.

And when you say that they are not the same, do you mean on forged/cast or something more?

Comment

Yes, as far as I'm aware all the 2226 CC engines use the same forged crank.

It's possible the one from a 2301 CC 10 valve NG engine may also be the same as they used the same block casting as the 2226 engines, not sure if they used a different stroke or larger diameter pistons to gain the extra 75cc.

I can check the bore diameters as I have both blocks/cranks in my workshop, they're both already sold however.
                  I’m gonna need a forged one, but I would appreciate if you could measure this just to re-check some things.

Anyone knows what can I expect price wise, regarding forged crankshaft for AAN?

Comment

I'm 99% sure the NG is also forged, I have a block and crank under my workbench without a sump on that I can check out for you, I'll try and find time this afternoon to have a look and take some measurements and photo's.

If it is the same then NG cranks are very common, I sold the bare block and crank for ÂŁ150 which I was pleased with. The guy who purchased it is using it as the base for a 3B S2 engine build and knows what he's doing so I'm pretty sure the crank would be forged.

If not then a good 2226 crank is probably worth between 100-300 Euro's, I guess it depends on which country it's in.

Comment

How precise was your 6mm measurement? Could be an NM crank which has a stroke of 77.4mm vs 86.4mm of the AAN?
                      sigpic
                      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I'm 99% sure the NG is also forged, I have a block and crank under my workbench without a sump on that I can check out for you, I'll try and find time this afternoon to have a look and take some measurements and photo's.

If it is the same then NG cranks are very common, I sold the bare block and crank for ÂŁ150 which I was pleased with. The guy who purchased it is using it as the base for a 3B S2 engine build and knows what he's doing so I'm pretty sure the crank would be forged.

If not then a good 2226 crank is probably worth between 100-300 Euro's, I guess it depends on which country it's in.
                        Thank you very much and I would really appreciate your measurements and photos.

Yes, I know, NG is a rather common I5 engine, I have it in my Audi 90 B3 quattro and I surely hope it is forged and that it fits in my AAN engine.

Waiting for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                          How precise was your 6mm measurement? Could be an NM crank which has a stroke of 77.4mm vs 86.4mm of the AAN?
                          Very precise. You can see it on the photo.

The only logical answer is that it is from a NM engine.

For me, that is the only thing that makes sense.

I can’t see any other option.

Comment

not all ng2 cranks are forged. i used cast one and its ok for a bit more power

Comment

Originally posted by AANton View Post

Thank you very much and I would really appreciate your measurements and photos.

Yes, I know, NG is a rather common I5 engine, I have it in my Audi 90 B3 quattro and I surely hope it is forged and that it fits in my AAN engine.

Waiting for your reply.
                              I'll get you some measurements and photo's tomorrow as I'm going to be in the workshop trying to find a couple of obscure parts for other members, that block is hidden behind some other heavy stuff under my workbench so will take a bit of getting to.

I had to spend most of this afternoon moving firewood into the house otherwise I'd be cold this evening.

Yep the NG is a really common motor and the NF as found in C4's is pretty much identical, I didn't know that some NG cranks were cast as 'rxl' points out, I'm pretty sure the one in my old block that came from a 1992 Coupe is forged.

Comment

Here's my NG block and crank, the NG has an 82.4mm bore and my 3B is 81mm. So they certainly used bigger pistons in the NG/NF. No part No on the crank, just the few cast numbers in the photo's.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by K Simmonds; 29 January 2023, 20:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X