AEL temperature question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEL temperature question

Does anybody know if the if the 2.5TDi AEL engine coolant temperature gauge and chanel 51 on the air con display get the signals from the same sensor?

The temp guage on the dash always sits at 90°C whereas the digital display on the air con reads a good 10°C lower and also varies a lot depending on speed and load. I'm thinking that the dash gauge is probably heavily buffered and the digital one is more realistic, which would possibly mean my thermostat is shot AGAIN!
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22679.phtml
    Scroll down to the RHD stuff. It's incorporated into the water valve.

Comment

Channel 51 gets its signal from the blue sensor that you can see in the link previously posted.
      Gauge temp dial gets the signal from a sensor with the 3 pins(sometimes 4 dont know the difference) located above the thermostat and in the connection of the upper hose that goes in to two from there - one small one to expansion tank and bigger one to the radiator. I do not have a picture handy at the moment. I would not worry about that if I were you. I think your thermostat is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
        Thanks, that valve is quite a way from the engine so that would explain the different readings.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post

interesting..

My AEL 'almost' always stays at the very bottom.. Its been like this since i bought it over 5 years ago. And my heaters almost always blow cold air. Yet the engine and coolant pipes are deffo warm.

Thinking it was the thermostat I replaced it, but still no change. Making me wonder if the temp gauge was broken

Oddly though, on very rare occasions, (VERY RARE) I have seen the gauge up in the 90 deg zone and even odder still when ever this happens, I have had hot air actually working from the heaters! (properly nice and toasty)

I can count on my one hand how often this (miracle of heat) has happened .. Any ideas what's going on?

(car has climate control btw, not that IT or the buttons work properly)

C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
          2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
          Schrick 272 cam
          C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
          ITG filter

Comment

Try checking Ch51 on the air con display and see what that sensor is reading.
            sigpic

Comment

And spend 20 minutes removing the climate controls and solder the dry joints and then all buttons will work!
              Rob..
              94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
              87 UR 20v ABY
              97 S6 Avant
              96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
              1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Working...
              X