No announcement yet.

Poor running 7A (in my cabriolet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is not quite plug and play... the injectors fit into the rails with an aluminium adapter and the whole lot just bolts on as per the original but, the resistor pack needs to be bypassed. On original install 7A cars the resistor pack is in the scuttle area under the wiper mechanism... for an insane $43 034 motorsport do a loom with the correct connectors to plug in and play but, if you are happy doing your own electrics it is not difficult to cut off the original plugs and put your own on or even solder up the joints. I think £60+postage would be pretty fair for the injectors, adapters, new o ring seals and new looking (black) fuel rail.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
      I think £60+postage would be pretty fair for the injectors, adapters, new o ring seals and new looking (black) fuel rail.
      Note to potential buyer......... F***in' BARGAIN !!

Comment

Yes I think that's a pretty fair price and not too much left to adapt and make it work by the sound of it. I'll keep it in mind but honestly I hope the already purchased injectors and FPR will work ok.

Comment

Forgot to mention the cabriolet has a full year MOT now, lambda was too high so the garage owner said I could delete the lambda and plug the hole. Did that and now it is road legal again, still need to sort the issues though.

Comment

??? removing the Lambda probe made the emissions come down?

At least now it is legal again and can be sold on with its MOT.

Comment

Haha no it didn't, made no difference at all I believe (did not go to the MOT myself due to work commitments) but when it's not there on a pre 1994 car they can not test it and it's all good for the MOT, even when the fuel is pooring out of the exhaust tip.. Had it been a 1994 or newer car it wouldn't get an MOT without getting the emissions right first.

Comment

I see!

Comment

So received the spare FPR and injectors today and installed them this evening. Tried the FPR first and it made no difference at all, then the injectors and now the car doesn't start anymore because fuel is leaking badly between the inector tops and the fuel rail. Have to say I didn't put the clips back on as only 1 of the 5 survived, as they are made of plactic. Hoped bolting the fuel rail to the IM would be enough to stop them from leaking as the injectors that were fitted sat very tight in the fuel rail.

Edit: had a second look and it turns out the now fitted injectors don't have the o-rings at the top, no wonder it's leaking so I'll try to get some new o-rings tomorrow.
                  Last edited by quattrostyle; 27 September 2017, 20:26.

Comment

The clips don't matter. The Bosch injectors don't use them. Fuel rail bolts hold it all together.

Comment

Yup, no clips here, though it took me a while to get it to not leak... the injectors can cant over a bit, leaving the o-rings at the top leaking... not ideal... still I got there in the end with some adjustment of the fuel rail tabs with a pair of mole grips!

Comment

I just done this on my 7A, quick play with the tabs to get it sitting right and bolt it down, amazing difference, runs smoother, when warm the car idles at 900 on the dot with zero fluctuation, added about 75 miles to the range of the tank, I have no more fuel smell in the car and the low end power is so much better, with a slight improvement all the way up the range I opted for the Volvo 2.4 5pot NA Bosch injectors, they take the air:fuel mixture from 14.7:1 to around 12.5:1 which is considered a sweeter spot for power. Although it is definitely there, I wouldn't say the overall power increase is anything to write home about, but the low end grunt is very noticeable and much easier to drive round town. Also the engine runs a little cooler, fan's not coming in as often, can only suggest the efficiency of the burn is better.

Comment

Ordered new o-rings today, well for the top of the injector that holds it in the fuel rail at least. Couldn't get the ones that sit in the inlet manifold, didn't have time to try the dealer though.

quattromnc I read good things about the Volvo injectors, are they the Bosch 0280150785 by any chance? Where did you get the adapters from?

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                            it is not quite plug and play... the injectors fit into the rails with an aluminium adapter and the whole lot just bolts on as per the original but, the resistor pack needs to be bypassed. On original install 7A cars the resistor pack is in the scuttle area under the wiper mechanism... for an insane $43 034 motorsport do a loom with the correct connectors to plug in and play but, if you are happy doing your own electrics it is not difficult to cut off the original plugs and put your own on or even solder up the joints. I think £60+postage would be pretty fair for the injectors, adapters, new o ring seals and new looking (black) fuel rail.
                            Steve please send me an e-mail about this audi_coupe_85@hotmail.com can't send you a PM as apparantley I have way to many messages stored (300 over the max allowed) although it was working fine till last week and I didn't receive or sent 300+ messages in a week..

The new o-rings didn't help, fuel is still pooring out between the injectors and fuel rail. Pretty fed up with this sh¡t so ready to spend some cash on good parts.

Comment

email sent

Comment

Replied, cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X