Cabriolet roof not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabriolet roof not working

I have a cabriolet that has ongoing problem with roof. The roof will open and fold down into storage area but the Tonneau cover will not come down. I have identified the problem as the switch on the upper ram. If you push the roof further down into storage area it will then let the cover come down. It goes up fine. I have repalced the ram, all the boot wiring has been replaced with a tested loom. There are no leaks anywhere and the fluid reservoir is full.

It looks like maybe there is just not enough power to push the roof down enough so I am thinking maybe motor/pump but this is a Final Edition and the later pumps are fairly bullet proof unlike the earlier ones that had plastic cooling vanes that break off and jam the motor.

Vagcom is coming up with the ram switch not closing, banging my head against wall now.

Any ideas appreciated. Cheers

Hi Mark, have you tried the facebook group (Audi "80" Cab / Coupe Enthusiasts) plenty of people on there that should be able to help you. Some of them are on here but hardly ever sign in here much so that group is your best bet for lots of replies.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Hi Mark, thanks for reply, yes I have posted up on Facebook but not had anyone come back with any answer for this problem, had a few replies but no answer to this problem. Am going to go and change pump tomorrow and see if that sorts it.

Comment

Let us know how you get on.
        94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Ok, so thats all boot wiring changed, ram changed, pump changed, tonneau locks, ecu, basically everything and the switch on the offside ram will still not engage to allow stowage cover to come down unless I push the hood down into storage area manually then the switch engages on the ram and the cycle will complete.

Comment

Just a thought is the switch a microswitch type? Is that the original or new? Maybe you could show us a pic?
            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Sounds like you have tested everything and even the ram switch is working when you manually push the roof into storage area.
              I had a issue with the interior cloth covers that hide the parts when the roof is up not folding correctly.
              Just thinking about base of roof storage having some obstruction or possibly a new replacement back window not folding well?
              Have you tried folding roof down without kink in window and leaving flattened for as long as possible (squashed memory) sorry just an idea

Comment

Thanks for response Mark, the switch is the ram, the body is one contact and the other 2 contacts are made inside the ram when the ram is fully extended or retracted.

Thanks for response SJW, there are no obstructions and back window is fine but I think you maybe right about hood material not folding away properly, it is either that or a problem with the frame, will have another look.

Comment

Working...
                X