• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get the roof off an feel the wind in ur hair

Comment

Originally posted by iib3327 View Post
      get the roof off an feel the wind in ur hair
      yeah youre funny, shouldnt you be looking for fog lights?
      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

is that a 1 piece removable hard top?

thats a dream car of mine....good find

Comment

yes it is. This one came with the car. I had another one in silver for my other cab but thats now sold.
          Gav
          S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

What a great acquisition,

pretty unique car. Well wear.

What's that thin radiator infront of the bigger (thicker) radiator in the photo showing the radiators leaning out? Air con?

Indulge me on this one, does this mean that ABY owners (without a/c), who want to change to an ANN inlet manifold could do so by leaving the existing intercooler in place down below, getting rid of the standard auxiliary radiator and inserting either a custom made one in it's place to cool the engine, finding a wide, thick, but not too deep radiator from another make of car which will do the job?

BTW, and I know this may have been covered elsewhere, but briefly what structural or non bolt on work would you have been up for to covert a cabrio to quattro format? Just interested as I also have a cabrio V6. So as soon as my numbers come up ?

Thanks and kind regards.

Comment

yep its the original v6 aircon (one of the options the original car had from the factory)
              Its very very close in there with regards the rad and power steering pump/crank pulley. So much so they made up some alu spacers approx 2 inch thick to space the front crossmember/rads forward, away from the front of the engine. In turn the lower bumper grilles have been trimmed on the inside for the aircon rads and if you look in the pic the lower leg of the T-peice slam panel has been removed. The slimline kenlowe fan looks like its literally been shoved in place just in front of the dump valve.
              With a custom rad and intercooler pipework its definiteley possible to fit the stock length inlet in there. This is the route ill be going down as well as fitting the battery under the rear seat.
              Fitting quattro to the cab is far more involved than the other models as so much of the shell is double skinned to aid towards decreasing the amount of chassis flex. There was a very good thread on vortex (iirc) that detailed the issues that arose whilst doing a similar conversion)
              HTH
              Gav
              Last edited by gavs20v; 24 March 2009, 18:22.
              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

VERY nice catch! Understated power...just my thing! Good to see that it is in capable hands and will be properly taken care of.

Comment

thanks, hopefully ill do her proud

Thanks, hopefully i can do her proud. Hoping to get the new interior in over the next week or so once ive made up some mounts for the subframes, then i might get a chnace to actually drive it for more than 18 miles
                  My wife and i are heading up to scotland for a wee break end of april for our anniversay so fingers crossed we'll be going up in the cab if everything goes to plan.
                  Gav
                  S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Gav,

Thanks for the reply / info.

Looking forward to any updates in the future. Any more info on the solid roof?

£50k is unreal, and now I'd say unrepeatable.

Definitely enjoy it.

Kind regards.

Comment

r.e the cost. Aye i agree...ive got a breakdown of the costs involved in the original conversion and its astonishing comparing them to todays prices. £3500 for a 2nd hand aby box etc etc. What info would you like to know on the hardtop?
                      Gav
                      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Not that I need one,

but where would one get one and how much do they cost?

Are they available new or second hand?

Just curious mind you. No money for such a roof, but as mentioned, just keen to know nonetheless.

Kind regards.

Comment

as far as i know there are at least two types of hard top. The wrap around type as ive now got on the red cab. The rear window wraps round slightly and the external roofline is noticeably lower than te other other type however headroom inside is more restricted compared to the other type. Is also noticably lighter.
                          This is the one fitted to mine...

and the other type which i recently sold and help fit to this ruby red v6..

Theyre both made by the same manufacturer (and i cant remember the bloody name at the moment)
                          Prices vary from £700 to over 1k but this should also include the fitting kit. Some of the fitting kit parts are still available from the dealers but its a bit hit and miss.
                          I like them,they can be taken on or off in less than a minute. With the roof on it feels just like driving a coupe, no windnoise or boominess whatsoever.
                          Hth
                          Gav
                          S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Gav,

thanks for the info.

Kind regards.

Comment

What does an S2 Cabrio handle like though - isnt the chassis too bendy without a real roof ?

Was there much in the way of chassis strengthening done for the conversion ?
                              Paul Nugent
                              Webmaster http://S2central.net
                              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
                                Fitting quattro to the cab is far more involved than the other models as so much of the shell is double skinned to aid towards decreasing the amount of chassis flex. There was a very good thread on vortex (iirc) that detailed the issues that arose whilst doing a similar conversion)
                                HTH
                                Gav
                                Hi Gav!

Nice cabbie!

Do you have same ref or link to that thread on Vortex forum.....
                                It happens i have a spare RS2 gearbox and rear differential and..... a Cabbie

i'm tempted........

Thanks Stefano
                                http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

Working...
                                X