B8 starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B8 starting issue

So an issue that is slowly getting worse on the family wagon B8 TDI Avant....

It would sometimes not start (or even try to start, the ignition just turns back off) when you press the key. This has now progressed to you having to almost push the clutch pedal through the floor before it will then crank.

My initial thought is/was the clutch switch (which I have learned is part of the master cylinder) but,,, when stopped at traffic with the "auto stop start" the engine fires back up when you press the clutch normally.

So ..... Are there 2 switches within the master cylinder or should I be looking somewhere else?

Any help is much appreciated!

Jase.

Have you ran a full VCDs fault code scan??

Comment

No not yet. I'm not that posh so need to try and borrow off my neighbor

Comment

If your in the area I can scan it for you

Comment

Very kind! Much appreciated

Jase.

Comment

So big thanks to Mr B5NUT,

The values on the pedal were reading..... 7% when in the "idle" position which went upto 75% when pressed down... It maxed out at 80% with an extra hard squeeze into the carpet (which is how it needs to be pressed to start).

The clutch itself does feel heavy and springy compared to other cars so not sure if there is a deeper issue with the clutch also.

Jase

Comment

It looks like there are switches, selling them on E.Bay anyway. On later VAG cars it is part of the Hall sender, so the pedal has magnetic pick-ups which the sender reads to establish pedal position.

Comment

I asked the question on another Audi forum and got this back as a response

I had this on a customers 3.0TDI CAPA once, the issue was fixed by changing the master cylinder however as a temp fix I was able to map around the issue.

Comment

Cheers all.

I am looking to get it on the ramp tomorrow so I will recce how much space there is for access etc. Hopefully it's not too much of a PITA to change the MC.

Regards

Jase.

Comment

Working...
                  X