Diff noise b7 -08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff noise b7 -08

Having a problem with noise in rear diff in my daily. The car is a B7 2,0tfsi q 2008. 140k kilometers.

When taking off with steering wheel not straight something in the rear makes noise 2-3 times. Sounds and feels like light version of welded diff or stiff lsd. Under load, ex when my boat (1000kg) is after it feels even more.
    As far as I know the rear diff is open at this car?
    Is it the diff singing the last song or can it be something else? Tripod, CV, bushing??

If it only makes a noise when pulling away it's likely the diff mounts or propshaft centre bearing.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Its at low speed mainly when pulling away, but as I wrote only with turning at the same time. For ex, if I go left or right in a crossing I Will have the noise but if i go straight forward its quiet.
      I also get the problem when moving very slow with steering turned. Then with minimal noise but I can feel the problem from the rear seat.

Comment

Are you sure it's not a front CV joint?
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Sounds like a cv joint

Comment

My 3.0 TDI b7 used to do the same. I changed the center bearing and it made no difference. It may have been the bushes but I was fairly sure it was the diff.

Just before I got rid of the car, I spoke with a garage about swapping the oil and the guy said it may even make it worse.... I didn't believe that but... My next step was the swap the fluid.

Jase.

Comment

I dont think it is the front CV, the noise is pretty sure from rear drivetrain. Or can a bad front CV in some way via center torsen to rear diff make rear Axel to behave odd? Last summer I drained the oil from rear diff hoping to find proof of something wrong. But the oil was clear and correct amount.
              During winter with narrower tires the problem is not as in summer and this summer is worse than last one. (7000km since last summer)

Comment

Both B7 i have had do/did this. And my S2 avant used to. And a frienf of mine has a B6 and he had another B6 before this one, they all make the same noise. I have had my current B7 for 5 years now, and its not got better or worse. It is now at almost 300k Km and looks like 5h1t, but it gets my girlfriend back and forth to her job
                Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more picĀ“s of my cars

Comment

Working...
                X