No announcement yet.

RNS-D to RNS-E Conversion for Audi B6 S4 A4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a look at the intake track on the S4 - it is miserably thin... with the useless auxrad out of the way it should be easily to vastly increase the size of that... I want to do some before/after logging on this stuff though - the benefit may be negligible though without ECU involvement.

I already changed all my interior lights to LED - including some uber sexy blue puddle lights to match the cars colour. I did the sidelights and number plate lamps as well - had to pick those bulbs which don't throw up a code... was ages back so cannot remember details.

Thats a good point you make the steering wheels - I haven't researched this at all yet !

I remain sceptical on that 380bhp claim though... maybe that is possible with engines which have seen further enhancements like shortened IM scroll and/or valve work - I would love to be wrong... trying not to spend lots of money on this one though (famous last words).
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

You found some canbus LED's, I take it they have in line resistors? Do they get really hot?
      Rob W
      04 Audi S4 Avant
      55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
      92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
      1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

I have had no problem with them... plug and play - chinese specials - cheap on eBay.
        CANbus ones only needed for sidelights and number plate though !
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

WoW your lucky 1st ones you bought without triggering canbus warnings.
          I only intend doing the side lights and possibly the fogs.
          Rob W
          04 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Welcome back Rob, good to see you're back
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thanks Greg. Gotta love fast Audi's 😝
              Rob W
              04 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

I know it is an old theme, but I don't want to open new one on same question...

My 2003 B6 had originaly RNS-D (connected with multifunction steering wheel, CD Changer and BOSE system), then I bought RNS-E and started some problems...

I bought connector for RNS-E, connected and unit is working correctly somehow, even CD Changer works fine. But on RNS-E doesn't work lighting and after 30 minutes unit turn off itself...
                TMC sign is also crossed and clock is invisible. VCDS can not recognize the unit.

So for TMC I read now, that I need to connect those two jacks. Am I wright?
                What do I need to do with connector to get lighting work and for stop turning off every 30 minutes? Need to swap some cabels on connector in correct PIN's?

Maybe I wrote it little wierd, but I'm trying to find solution how to fix that, and if you could help me, it would be great.

BR from Slovenia

Comment

I've just had an RNS-D to RNS-E retrofit done on my B6 A4. It was tough to find all the information I needed. My A4 has bose and a CD changer, although I don't think the CD changer works anymore.

I had to use an adapter like the one below, and it had to be slightly modified. I will explain below.

You will need to bypass the TMC module in the boot. Bridge both the aerial connectors. On the 12 pin plug, you will need to bridge more wires so that the CAN/H and CAN/L signals can go from the RNS-E to the rest of the car.

Connect the following wires on the 12 pin TMC connector.
                  Pin 1 (orange/brown wire) to pin 9 (grey/red wire)
                  Pin 2 (orange/purple wire) to pin 8 (grey/white wire)

------------

Now you need to Bridge pins/wires on the 26 pin connector from the wiring loom of the RNS-D to the adapter I mentioned earlier.

Pin 13 on the 26 pin connector will have to connect to pin 9 on the RNS-E/Adapter. If you have already done the work on the TMC module, this will complete the signal path for CAN/H
                  Pin 26 on the 26 pin connector will have to connect to pin 10 on the RNS-E/Adapter. If you have already done the work on the TMC module, this will complete the signal path for CAN/L

You can use this PDF document for reference. Make sure you read it correctly. I almost connected pins 13 and 26 to pins 5 and 6 by mistake as the diagram photo is backwards.
                  https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...jViMDkyZWI4ZmY

-----------

If you have done all of this correctly, all you have to do now is code channels 37, 56 and maybe 17. I am not fully sure about this step, as I did not do it myself. I had a garage do it (and all of the wiring) since they were attempting to install parking sensors from a crashed A4 B6 into my car, so I thought I would save myself the work. I just supplied them with the instructions. This thread should have all of the information you need, if my post is not enough. It might be worth your time to carefully read the whole thread, in case that I have made a mistake in my post.

Comment

Tnx for quick reply.

I will try to fix this "issue" with RNS-E for weekend and we will see if I can get job as electricity guy

Comment

Working...
                    X