Alternative gear oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative gear oil

Anybody know alternative for G 055 145 A2 gear oil. It have some "special" additives compared to normal gear oil. Oil goes to centre differential (torsen) in ZF tiptronic gearbox. Price for one liter in Finland is ~160-180€/L, U.S ~90$/L, germany ~120€/L. I can´t find any febi,castrol,mobil etc alternative.

Originally posted by hiloran View Post
    Anybody know alternative for G 055 145 A2 gear oil. It have some "special" additives compared to normal gear oil. Oil goes to centre differential (torsen) in ZF tiptronic gearbox. Price for one liter in Finland is ~160-180€/L, U.S ~90$/L, germany ~120€/L. I can´t find any febi,castrol,mobil etc alternative.
    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6363-cas...ion-fluid.aspx

Comment

Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90 was recommended to me as well. The newer gear oil will be far superior to what was being used back when these cars were new so will not require any additives.
      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

For centre differential G 055 145 A2 Transmission oil is with 3% Sturaco additive. Not sure what it does and is it really needed. At least older torsens did not need this additive. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90 is OK for front and rear differential

Comment

Remember that it cannot be GL5. Too slippy. Opie gets it wrong.
          If you use GL5 baulk rings die in a couple of years and the change is slow.
          GL4.
          Rob..
          94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
          87 UR 20v ABY
          97 S6 Avant
          96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
          1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Yep as said you want gl4 for gearbox and gl5 for the diff. Both are 75w90 but you don't want to get them the wrong way round.

Here's a photo of what I got, gear oil left, diff oil right
            Attached Files
            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

I have used duel rated gl4 gl5 oil in the diff and gearbox with no slow change issues.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                I have used duel rated gl4 gl5 oil in the diff and gearbox with no slow change issues.
                It'll come....
                For the oil to get dual rating it will have to be gl5.
                Rob..
                94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                87 UR 20v ABY
                97 S6 Avant
                96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Working...
                X