Rain-X and Cleaning Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain-X and Cleaning Products

Any of you guys used Rain-X on ya windscreens? Apparently, once used you dont need to use your wipers.

Also, what cleaning products you all use?

Im looking at Meguires, but am getting confused with all this Stage 1-2-3 stuff, being as Im a simple wash and dry bloke. But I want to get a very good shine on my car. You guys got any tips?
    Coupe

I use rain-x quite regularly - like when I remember - it is great driving at 40mph+ in pouring rain not using the wipers at all.
    Jim

Comment

Yeah Rain-x is great so long as you apply it properly.....otherwise you can get some very wierd smearing that takes about 300 miles to get rid of.

As for cleaning, Autoglym mainly though Mer is pretty good for a quick and easy polish and their glass cleaner is good too - just make sure you let it dry fully before removing it.

Alloys, if they are heavily pitted (mine are bare metal) then wonderwheels with a brush, followed by drying them off and a couple of applications of Peek metal polish then they are mirror like

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner is basically acid. It took my finger prints (and a lot of skin) off and left the wheels shiny where they weren't covered in blood!

I now use water and elbow grease!
        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

yeah - use rain wizard myself.
          When its raining you simply don't need to use the wipers on the move. The faster youre going & the heavier the rain, the clearer the screen is.

Bit annoying with drizzle though - tiny droplets just sit there and illuminate with others' taillights.

Definately good stuff though!

- oh - and as yet I've had no problems with Autoglym wheel cleaner - I've been following the instructions though and not batheing my hands in the stuff!!
          Last edited by Alistair C; 19 November 2003, 18:57.

Comment

Avid rain x user! Excellent over 40 mph plus, must apply it correctly to get a good result. One downside to it that the box doesn't advise you of is..... If you get a stone chip in the windscreen it can't be repaired as the glue they use won't adhere to the chip! This advice was given to me by my father-in-law whose job it is to repair these things! Car cleaning products.... Wonder Wheels is excellent and not too acidic, AutoGlym Super resin polish is soooo easy to do you will be amazed! I can polish my A6 Avant in about half an hour!!!! AutoGlym Glass polish is good too but make sure you clean the inside first before cleaning dash and vacuuming as it does leave a powder. Best thing for dash etc is a damp cloth and a towel. Can't be doing with a shiny dash as it reflects in the screen on sunny days.

Well ladies that ends todays lesson in cleaning products!
            A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

I'll add my tuppence-worth here

Rain-ex is great, provided you clean the glass absolutely rigourously first with a proper glass cleaning fluid, and follow the application instructions to the letter - it can as noted earlier give you some odd smearing effects if you're not very thorough.

It does wear/rub/evaporate off though, so you do need to re-apply it regularly.

Best cleaning for alloys I find is Wonderwheels - plus they do a good "tyre polish" - it's not a black colour stuff, but it somehow makes the tyres look more black.

Best polish - Autoglym Super Resin first (apply and remove to get rid of surface oxidation), then apply a coat of
              Autoglym Perfectionist Gloss
              (wipe on liberally, leave to cake for 30-60minutes, then rub off). The gloss effect is stunning, and it lasts months.
              Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I used X-rain and it is Super...
                Last edited by PhilS2R; 21 November 2003, 09:52.
                God forgives...... Me not....

and

If you disturbs the dog...
                It will puff out you the hand !!!

Pitbull Proverb

Comment

I have found with rain x that it destroys wiper blades very quickly! I dont know if its the way i have applied it in the past. Anyone else found that?
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                  Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Rain X 'was' great until I started living in London....

Don't use it anymore 'cos it makes too much of a mess when its attacked by tree sap, dirt etc from parking in London.

Worked wonderfully well when I lived in the sticks and drove along the M40 into London.

I use the Race Glaze Carnuba Wax...when it gets cleaned.

Always after a 'claywash' with Raceglaze claybar and wash. This is really a great way to get all the embedded crap out of the paint without rubbing paint off. It leaves the methal so much smoother and means waxing it is a quick job.

Much 'easier' than polish as it does not dry to a white powder etc.

Beware the £++++ though. Ouch.

Comment

There is an other product of the same maker : Anti-Fog ...as good as Rain-X but for the fog on the window inside the car.....
                      God forgives...... Me not....

and

If you disturbs the dog...
                      It will puff out you the hand !!!

Pitbull Proverb

Comment

Anti-fog - that's called Air Conditioning isn't it

The other thing with Rain-X to consider is using a less strong mixture of washer fluid - I have a feeling that the detergent/alcohol action of the washer fluids speeds up the rate at which the rain-x film deteriorates...
                        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

My wipers seem to be lasting fine, no fast deterioration. Do you use cheap wipers? I am stuck with the genuine ones as my n/s wiper is curved and haven't found anyone to supply aftermarket but not too bothered, had car 18 months nearly and replaced wipers when bought it and they are still fine. I think they were about 20 quid for the pair.
                          I also find that the air-con is the best anti-fog around!!
                          Climate control and slippers! Comfy!!
                          A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Nah i too use Genuines blades, BTW im sure that Bosch now do the curved blades for the A3,4,6 etc etc. But I tend to buy genuine for customers cars, last longer, or seem too.
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Elbow grease

I use rain-X with Rain-x windscreen washer additive.
                              I have had problems with wiper blades before the additive. They skipped and left black spots on the windscreen ( Bosch wiper blades)

On my show car ( Morris Minor!) I use a clay bar (cheap from Halfords).

A quick rub over with Farecla G10 like t-cut but no ammonia

Then 2 applications of Mer as it is cheap.

I finish of with the good old fashioned Simoniz hard wax in a yellow tin cost £3. The wax makes a massive difference it brings the colour to life and adds a deep shine especially on darker colours. I have tried Blitz wax from Frost http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=15 but it doesn't seem any better than the Simoniz.

Do not use washing up liquid in the washer bottle as it has salt in it, it makes your plates shiny but your windscreen streaky.

The best product however is elbow grease.

Comment

Working...
                              X