Which pre-wax polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pre-wax polish?

Just finished a clay bar session. Tomorrow I'll be polishing and waxing.

The wax I'll be using is the Meguiars Gold Class, but I'm undecided on a polish. I have a lot of Autoglym Super Resin polish, but not sure if it works well with the Meguiars.

Any suggestions from personal experience?
    acidtrax

i tryed it and its a big no from me,ive been usein meguiars steps 1,2,3. wots the clay bar like.
    autoglym goes all powdery,when it drys thats why i dont use it any more
    1990 100 2.2 10vqt 82k miles(now dead)
    1990 90 2.3 20v 166k miles
    1988 90 2.0 10v 181k miles
    oh and a polo for work.

Comment

The clay bar is really good!!!
      I done mine just over a week ago and the amount of crap it took off is unbelievable, the paint is soooooo smooth after as well, actually is like glass!
      Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
      2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by Bibby
        Just finished a clay bar session. Tomorrow I'll be polishing and waxing.

The wax I'll be using is the Meguiars Gold Class, but I'm undecided on a polish. I have a lot of Autoglym Super Resin polish, but not sure if it works well with the Meguiars.

Any suggestions from personal experience?
        Stage 2 (from the 3 stage system that John mentions above) Deep Crystal from Megs is pretty good. Just make sure you do one panel at a time and buff it off before it really dries or you'll have arms like bloody Garth before you are done. Autoglyme SR will leave that freakin white powder everywhere, but if that doesn't bother you then it's fine to use underneath IMO.

Tried my Zymol Concours Glaze the other day, very very weird putting it on with your hands just glad I got the PC to take it off
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n
          Stage 2 (from the 3 stage system that John mentions above) Deep Crystal from Megs is pretty good. Just make sure you do one panel at a time and buff it off before it really dries or you'll have arms like bloody Garth before you are done. Autoglyme SR will leave that freakin white powder everywhere, but if that doesn't bother you then it's fine to use underneath IMO.

Tried my Zymol Concours Glaze the other day, very very weird putting it on with your hands just glad I got the PC to take it off

Jas, Zymol really works however you need a few applications over a period of months to see the difference. Much more natural finish than meguiars but less impressive the first few times.
          I use the Titanium which has lasted over 2 years with 1/2 the pot left
          Alastair
          RS2

Comment

Originally posted by alg
            Jas, Zymol really works however you need a few applications over a period of months to see the difference. Much more natural finish than meguiars but less impressive the first few times.
            I use the Titanium which has lasted over 2 years with 1/2 the pot left
            Great, thanks Alastair
            I do hope it lasts a while, at £120 a pot

Cars in for the bonnet and bumper getting sprayed again next week, not enough paint applied last year and it has stone chipped very badly (bumper looks like it's been sandblasted) doing it "right" this time.

@ Karlos. Zymols cleaner/wax is good underneath GC. Bro has tried it. Looked well in that combination
            2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Originally posted by AUDI9020V
              wots the clay bar like.
              Just finished applying the first coat of polish, yet to take it off.

I have never felt polish go on so smoothly in my life! The clay bar/detailing spray combo pre-polish was worth the effort.

Looking forward to the end result now.
              acidtrax

Comment

All done. Close-up of the paint:

Reflection on the roof:

Reflection on the bonnet:

acidtrax

Comment

Looks nice mate. Glad im not the only one who has been slaving away on there s2 today. What products did u use? The clay bar is quality it makes everything else so much easier
                  3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

Bloody mighty fine work karlos
                    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Yeah, just saw your thread Steve, looking good. Not had nice weather here today though, had to do it in the garage, but I did start yesterday.

I used the Meguiars clay bar and detailing spray after the wash, then autoglym polish followed by the Megs Gold Class wax.

Couldn't get over the clay bar, awesome bit of kit.

Cheers J.
                      acidtrax

Comment

yeah i was really impressed bt the clay bar. The paint is so smooth and it just makes everything else so much easier. When u wash it and rinse the car off do u do the clay bar then or do u dry it off then use the clay bar and detailer? thats the only bit that i was not sure about.
                        3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

I washed my car on Thursday afternoon Steve, dried it down with a terry towel (£10 for 6 at Mothercare!) then stuck it in the garage. Left it overnight to be sure it was 100% dry.

Yesterday I did the clay bar work, spraying on the detailer that came in the pack, then using the bar with it. Did a panel at a time, drying off again with a terry towel.

Today I did the polishing and waxing. I used those round Meguiars sponge applicators to put on the polish/wax and removed with terry towels.

This website here is full of good info on detailing.
                          acidtrax

Comment

Hmmm, site seems to be down at the mo, but worth checking out the guides.
                            acidtrax

Comment

Good site that! ( http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/ )

Cheers,

Steve.
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic
                              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X