Engine cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cleaning

GTI coming up soon, so any advice on engine cleaning. mine isnt too bad for a 15 year old car.

Dont want to go too far and polish the metalwork, cos i suppose once you start u end up wanting to crome/wet n dry everything in the bay.
    Dont want to do anything too harsh like steam clean, either cos i heard it can wash away protective waxes.

Any handy tips out there??
    Attached Files

That looks clean enough to me!
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

It looks clean to me too. But what do us 3B owners know about that.
      Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care is my tip.
      SS

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80

1.) Buy Autoglym Machine cleaner & Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Protectant
        2.) Spray AG MC all over engine
        3.) Agitate as required with brushes etc
        4.) Rinse carefully with domestic hose avoiding staying over electrical components for too long (engine off)
        5.) Start engine and close bonnet to allow engine to dry a bit
        6.) Spray AG V&R protectant liberally all over engine
        7.) Run engine and close bonnet again to allow to dry (or go for a drive )
        8.) Open bonnet and admire handy work!

I also used another good product for this which can be found on the other thread about this....

Cheers,

Steve
        or you can have the parts sodium dipped
        sigpic

Comment

autoglym ec + v&r

Hi, tried what was suggested over the bank hol weekend, results looked good for first attempt . the vinyl/rubber care is especially good .
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice engine bay Brian! looks like I have some more competition for GTI!

I did mine again last night. But because of the hosepipe ban in the south I had to improvise. I covered the car in AG Engine cleaner as usual but then rinsed it off with a high power water pistol that had been bought for my birthday but never used topped up from a bucket of water! It worked a treat.

Finished it off with half a bottle of AG vinyl and rubber care. Might post some pics when i get in.

Cheers.

Steve.
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Now thats hardcore cleaning using a water pistol
              Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
              2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
                Nice engine bay Brian! looks like I have some more competition for GTI!

I did mine again last night. But because of the hosepipe ban in the south I had to improvise. I covered the car in AG Engine cleaner as usual but then rinsed it off with a high power water pistol that had been bought for my birthday but never used topped up from a bucket of water! It worked a treat.

Finished it off with half a bottle of AG vinyl and rubber care. Might post some pics when i get in.

Cheers.

Steve.

Steve,
                just think how much more cleaning you'd have to do if it was you're daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by ericd
                  Steve,
                  just think how much more cleaning you'd have to do if it was you're daily driver
                  Yeah I know. I have started cleaning it, knowing that I will hardly use it before GTI!

See you there.

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                  X