This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Shine

I found this and thought it was a good starting point for anyone wishing to take their care to the next level:

It is a blatent advert for Sonus, but the principles and techniques are sound:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-perfect.html

Cheers,

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Heeh - love the bargain bucket at US$70

Seriously though - that is the kind of thing useful for the likes of me that has very limited time to get a car cleaned up nice with a reliable set of steps and no need to equip myself with umpteen exotic products.

I've got a mixture of AG and Meg's products. So let me see if understand the principles enough to use those next time the car gets some 'me time' -

1. Wash (twice - yeah really) with AG shampoo, chamois dry then inspect

2. Use AG tar-spot remover for worst bits of grime

3. Use Megs claybar to get rid of other surface goo

4. Something like 'Scratch-X' to remove worst of swirly marks

5. Then I have a choice of the three stage Megs - paint cleaner, polish then wax or something like AG super-resin polish (which I like)... This is where I'm confused.

Is that AG SRP (or their extra gloss protection) more like a sealant that I should use after Megs stage 2... Then put the Megs wax on last ?

I do make lots of jokes about the clean car freaks on-board but I do enjoy a really nice clean shiny car. I'd do it more often if I could do it quicker - what money would I need to spend on a machine polisher of some sort... Nothing exotic. Sorry is this has all been covered - just thinking out loud.

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Reading the artical it seems that it's all about the chemistry of teh products you use. His explanantion does seem to make sense scientifically. From what I read it's all about building up layers. If the later layers use products that breakdown the earlier layers then you don't build layers you just make one layer. I think I see his point.

Well, if I ever get a chance I might try this principal. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

To a certain extent yes. Some products won't "bond" over the top of another. AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection is renowned for only really working effectively over AutoGlym SRP or on a bare surface.

IMO the most important point here, is that without the right surface preparation, it doesn't matter what products you use later on, the results won't be as good or won't work.

You need the surface to the completely contaminant free before you polish. Then (if possible) you need to remove all the surface imperfections (swirls, scratches, marring etc) before you apply nouroushing glazes, then sealants and waxes....

The glaze, sealant and wax also need to work together.

Cheers,

Steve.
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
        X