Pearlescent paint maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearlescent paint maintenance

Hi all , summers coming and I'd like to give the old girl some tlc. The paint job was done over 10 years ago and it is still in very good order, how's best to maintain a custom paint job ? Clay bar etc ? Not really done detailing before

Cheers

Always start out with a good clean foam wash, then good sponge/mitt wash. Proper dry, then clay till the surface is smooth as glass. After every few strokes of claying on the surface, inspect the bar and fold. Keep repeating the process. It is recommended to wash again after claying as well.

Then I would recommend the meguiars 3 step system, it's pretty good stuff

http://www.matey-matey.com/detailing_27.jpg

Always let the product sit for a bit before removing, might be a PITA to remove though especially the wax

If you want really good towels for removing product or for use while claying, I would recommend these, they are actually pretty cheap from this seller and have bought 6 myself recently.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906565222...84.m1497.l2649

For applying polish, you can use a foam applicator but I'm gonna try this when I get the chance:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

And for removing polish I love these, it makes removing polish easy and painless!

http://www.uksupplydirect.com/conten..._grea_300.jpeg

For the paint cleaner and wax, a foam pad is good

Must be a lot to take in
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

I think fataudi80 & dest are the ones to advise on car cleaning - tips & products etc
      Audi S2 Coupe 1995
      VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
      VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
      Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Originally posted by benntenn67 View Post
        I think fataudi80 & dest are the ones to advise on car cleaning - tips & products etc
        As above, I know fataudi80 details professionally so he is one of the best on here

The Perfectionist
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
          As above, I know fataudi80 details professionally so he is one of the best on here

The Perfectionist
          @ rynaqui - I remember an earlier thread on here about detailing, so thats what I was thinking
          Audi S2 Coupe 1995
          VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
          VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
          Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Andy, detailingworld.com, will corrupt you fully, the same as S2Forum can muck you up!

Be prepared to become time poor.

Kind regards.

Comment

You need to get yourself a Grit Guard twin wash bucket system for swirl free washing after you've had it detailed.

http://www.gritguard.com/grit-guard/...ng-system.html

I bought mine from The Polishing Company for £120 a few years ago.

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/gritguardrange.html

It's got wheels so you can just roll it around.

You can also sit on them on the cushion it comes with for polishing etc.

Expensive but well worth it!

Comment

You can't be serious, 120 quid for a couple of buckets on wheels with a couple of guards? That is bonkers.

What's wrong with using two standard 5 litre buckets one filled with shampoo and water and the other with clean water for rinsing your mitt thoroughly using your other hand to remove grit? You can also avoid picking up any grit from either bucket by stopping your hand from touching the bottom or sides of either bucket. It works for me.

Comment

they just look cool

and yeh i think i was a little bonkers spending £120 on them!

So i keep getting told anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by ash2050 View Post
                    they just look cool

and yeh i think i was a little bonkers spending £120 on them!

So i keep getting told anyway!
                    you can get it repainted for 800€/1000€ here ¡¡

it does not worth ¡¡
                    RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                      you can get it repainted for 800€/1000€ here ¡¡

it does not worth ¡¡
                      I should've sent my car there for a re-spray. Would've worked out a lot cheaper than what I paid for mine
                      ABY S2 stroker (work in progress)

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

This is one of those areas where you can oversee things by far too much. Everyone I meet tends to use a different approach but for a quick spruce up by hand
                        I tend to advise the following for those looking to give the car a good spruce up but by hand:

Snow foam pre-wash
                        Apply an APC via spray bottle to areas like round badges, door handles, windows strips etc and work in with a detailing brush. (This will remove wax)
                        Rinse thoroughly
                        Wash using the 2 bucket method with either one or 2 grit guards. Lambs wool or mf wash mitt.
                        Rinse
                        Dry
                        (Pop your hand in a food bag and rub your hand over the surface of the paint to see if the car needs claying - You'll feel it)
                        Clay if required (only clay in one direction - Front to back of car to reduce marring)
                        Wash again and dry
                        Hand cut car using Megs 205 or SSR 2/2.5 using a mf pad. Wiping compound away using an mf cloth.
                        Polish with something like Super Resin polish to further improve the finish. Again mf pad and cloth to remove
                        Wash again, dry and then apply a few coats of wax.

Maintenance washes would then be:

Pre-wash
                        Wash using the 2 bucket method, rinse and dry using mf drying towel
                        Apply QD to top up the wax.
                        Anthony Birch

sigpic

www.audireflections.co.uk

Comment

Bloody hell, im stuck in the 19th century with my car washing. Two buckets??? Cut, polish and wax?? that would take all weekend!!

Warm soapy water+sponge+hosepipe.

My coupe was lucky last weekend she got a chamois and a quick polish with Zymol.

Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                          03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                          01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

An enhancement can be done in a day. For a full correction it can take 2-3 days. ;-)

PS. I think I've got a detailing ocd. lol
                            Anthony Birch

sigpic

www.audireflections.co.uk

Comment

Claying alone if the car is really contaminated can take a good couple of hours and it leaves you feeling dead afterwards!
                              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X