Tips needed for horribly filthy windscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips needed for horribly filthy windscreen

The windscreen on the S2 is beyond filthy. It is not a daily driver and I do not give it the time it deserves cleaning wise, so more often than not, after blasting around the oxfordshire countryside, it gets tucked away in the hutch and the glass has suffered.

Any tips for a proper deep clean? I have read about polishing discs, various detergents and even things like fine wire wool. Bit loathed to go scraping wire wool across the screen before checking to see what things you guys might use. Was hoping Fatty might be around to drop some pearls of wisdom but i doubt he ever lets his glass get as dirty as mine ha ha.

Anyhow, cheers if anyone has advice on how to remove deep grained watermarks and those annoying white swirly pieces of grub that the wipers and vinegar don't seem to shift.

Was just watching one video of some guy scraping his with a razor blade

used too use wire wool to remove any overspray in a porsche approved body shop on the glass with no issues at all

Comment

If you're after something to strip off any **** and oil then protect it and make it hydrophobic so the water just heads off then I like the Gtechniq g6/4/1/5 combo. It's a bit of work but will last you for a llloonnnnngggg time!

If you need something hardcore to actually polish the glass then you want a DA or rotary with Cerium Oxide.
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

http://www.plenty.co.uk/Homepage/

One sheet is plenty....
        1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post

One sheet is plenty....

Good timing, wasn't expecting that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post

One sheet is plenty....
            Haha, that provided a chuckle first thing. Juan needs a good thrashing though, preferably with plenty of plenty.

Comment

Just ordered some 0000 grade wire wool. Seems to be conflicting evidence about weather to use it dry or to use it with soapy water. I have a glass topped table in the garden which is more than likely worse than the Audi. Will test on that first to ensure I am not pressing too hard and causing damage. Will report back on results.

Note to self, stay on top of the cleaning like I do with the mechanical side of things.

Comment

toothpaste and a wet sponge has always got rid of the dirt n grease from my windscreen. leaves it smelling minty fresh too!

Comment

Ok, so 0000 grade wire wool is an awesome glass cleaning tool. I went with the warm soapy water approach as thought this added lubrication would reduce chances of scratches. I test first on a mirror at home and also a glass table. No scratches that i could see under a magnifying glass, so I went ahead on the S2. It is spotless and the surface of the glass is like paint after it has been clayed. I then did the Leon as well.

Brilliant results and it does not need much elbow grease, just a lightish pressure and 15 minutes tops.

Took it for a blast to celebrate and the damned thing is cutting boost now ha ha. Need some contact cleaner for that the stupid MAF connector now. Next thread ......

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
                    Ok, so 0000 grade wire wool is an awesome glass cleaning tool. I went with the warm soapy water approach as thought this added lubrication would reduce chances of scratches. I test first on a mirror at home and also a glass table. No scratches that i could see under a magnifying glass, so I went ahead on the S2. It is spotless and the surface of the glass is like paint after it has been clayed. I then did the Leon as well.

Brilliant results and it does not need much elbow grease, just a lightish pressure and 15 minutes tops.

Took it for a blast to celebrate and the damned thing is cutting boost now ha ha. Need some contact cleaner for that the stupid MAF connector now. Next thread ......
                    I didn't chip in before as I had nothing to add. I have always always used a clay bar the glass cleaner and Rain-X.

I will try the 0000 wire wool trick in future though....

Cheers

Steve
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I used to use Rain X, but I've switched to this:-

http://www.armorall.eu/uk/products/i...ield-for-glass

It's cheaper, easier to apply and works better, possibly not quite as durable though
                      sigpic
                      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

This is evidently highly thought of in terms of cleaning proper gunky glass. It is an incredibly gentle glass version of T cut basically. It has an abrasive quality that cleans anything. I went with the wire wool for pence rather than waiting for a cleaning product but the reviews I saw/watched looked very good in terms of removing every possible bit of film and water spots that become ingrained in the glass.

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/e...uct&db_pid=976

Comment

Working...
                        X