Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Sale: Mk4 Golf 1.6 SE

Hi guys,

I know its not quite an S2 but it is a great run around!

I'm selling my British Racing Green VW Golf 1.6 SE 1998 S reg, details as follows:

- 98,000 miles
    - Full service History (now due a service to keep it up to date)
    - 6 disc Cd changer in boot
    - All windows are electric along with heated wing mirrors
    - A/C (still cold)
    - 5dr, seats have no wear marks
    - 2 previous owners (one of which was my mum)
    - Taxed

Bad points:
    - Clutch is starting to slip
    - Difficult to select gears sometimes (mainly 1st & 3rd), my local garage believes it may be the linkage
    - Small hole in the interior roof lining
    - Wear marks on interior door handles (common problem)
    - Windscreen has a crack due to the wipers going slow, (searched this and its due to rust on the wiper mechanism, the motor is fine)
    - Body work could do with a good going over - scratches by the door handles, bonnet and the usual stone chips
    - MOT due Nov
    - Glove box mechanism broken

A good solid VW that needs a little TLC. Selling due to buying a sports car.

£800 oVno

Will get pics up by on the weekend

Any questions happy to answer PM or call

Chris
    Last edited by 4wheeldrifting; 8 October 2010, 16:28.
    2.3 10v Quattro project so far: Bought for £400, lowering springs.

I think you will find that your 1.6 golf has suffered from what all of them suffer from eventually . The reason your clutch is slipping and its hard to get gears is because one of the rivets that holds the final drive gear to the differential has sheared off and has either machined or smashed a hole through the casing of the bell housing allowing gearbox oil to soak the clutch. This happens to nearly all of the 1.6 engined cars with the DUU, DUS, DUW gearbox codes .
    Basically the gearboxes are fatally flawed because the rivets are not strong enough .

My wife had one of these golfs and I can tell you it is the worst car I have ever known of , not only are the gearboxes crap but the engines are also garbage , you will not find one with high mileage as they all fall apart.
    The water pump impeller is made of plastic which eventually falls off and kills the engine , the problem with the new alloy block motor is that when the water pump impeller falls off the flow of water is restricted , now normally this would cause the dash lights to flash and draw you attention to the fact that you have a problem and the engine is over heating so you could pull over. With the 1.6 this is not the case, the temp sender is in such a stupid location that when the water stops flowing it does not see the temperature rise so you are blissfully unaware that there is anything wrong until plumes of smoke start coming from you exhaust , by this time the feeble alloy block motor is toast.

Comment

Is this the total and complete and utter opposite of shill bidding?

Um.. GLWTS NCTS ad infinitum..

Comment

Working...
      X