Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.8 V6 Coupe Quattro in silver - Cheap project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 V6 Coupe Quattro in silver - Cheap project!

The time has come to sell up my 2.8 CQ... It's been an excellent daily driver, but unfortunately it's had an issue where the oil pressure would need a quick blip of throttle to enable it to build up to operating pressure (loses its prime). I drove it like this happily for at least half a year, but inevitably with numerous occasions where I drove off forgetting to 'prime', I believe the car has spun a bearing, and now the hot oil pressure is low and it takes almost 5000rpm to get oil moving in the system. Once this has happened though, it never loses pressure again until it is parked up.

I'm not alone in this - this issue has been seen before on these V6s and so far nobody has found a solution asides from a total rebuild. Since I needed a daily to replace this, I went and got an S2 (the only sensible option) and now this is surplus to requirements.

Firstly have some pictures:

1993 Audi Coupe Quattro approx 140k miles (was used as a daily driver until the issues)
    Crystal Silver LY7T, grey leather interior
    MOT: Nov 2012
    TAX: Jan 2013
    Price: £400 ONO

Engine:
    2.8L AAH V6
    Has has the inlet removed and done up a bit - gasket matched and polished slightly to remove the obvious protrusions from casting. The heads have also been gasket matched. This makes quite a difference to the power and adds to the already very impressive low end torque. Throttle has an enlarged primary and the MAF post has been removed. All in all this gives a decent bit more poke and makes it a great motorway shark. I wish I knew how much power it's making now - there are people who have done these intake mods and achieved a hair over 200bhp, but realistically with my slightly less perfect attempts I doubt I've hit that. Maybe 190 if I'm lucky...

Headgasket was done by the previous owner (around a year ago) so in the process a lot of service items were changed: timing belt, spark plugs, thermostat, oil + filter (many MANY times in my ownership!) Has had the valley pan check valves changed, new valley pan gasket and does not leak oil. Injectors have had a clean also.

Unfortunately most of this is now irrelevant due to the spun bearing I don't think any permanent damage has been done, but at the very least this will need the crank dropping and the bearings replaced. Good news is there's plenty of AAH engines on A6 cars in the scrappy going for mega cheap, so drop one in and you're away... or add something better.

Exhaust: Full stainless powerflow. Sounds very nice at full chat, but is a bit of a pain on low speed cruise. It's a very marmite system for me, when in town or going up a hill at low rpm it's painful and annoying but it sounds excellent when you put your foot down and it burbles on overrun quite nicely!

Bodywork: Not fantastic. Has had some work on the roof and a patch in front of the drivers side rear arch. The paint is quite scratched, but because it is silver you can't really see the issues from 10 paces. Recently resealed the taillights so no water leaks. Windscreen is new replaced only a few months ago.

Suspension: Front shock absorbers are brand new fitted by a garage in April. Apart from that the supension is all original and in pretty good condition. There is a creak from the rear if you go over speedbumps too fast, but it's all solid (and all quattro spec)

Interior and goodies: Full leather interior in pretty good condition considering its age. Minor bolster wear on the front seats and the leather has gotten a bit hard, but it has a lovely luxury feel. Wood panelling. All dash bulbs replaced with red so looks very nice at night. Heated mirrors , Air Conditioning (not blowing cold though, but that never bothered me as I don't use it), electric windows, ABS, power steering, difflock. Fuel and temperature gauges working (after a lot of annoyance - common fault with these cars). Recently replaced the heater blower fan (rare as hen's teeth in for A/C cars!) OEM 15 inch Audi 10-spoke speedline wheels, Pirelli p6000 tyres. Bumper is the same as an S2 if that is a bonus? Obviously I'm taking the DAB radio and I've swapped the front indicators back to orange.

At the very least, if the car were bought and broken for spares it would make a fair bit of money, so I'm looking for £400 ONO.

And yes the car is in a condition where I would not hesitate to recommend driving it away (provided you 'prime' the oil system appropriately first). I have done a reasonably long trip (200mi total) to pick up an exhaust for the S2 in this car and it didn't miss a beat (although it beeped at me a few times).
    Last edited by Ilkorin; 30 October 2012, 22:40. Reason: Price Drop

Bump, price reduced...

Comment

bump....

Comment

Cannot be bothered with this. Insurance runs out soon and it needs to go as it's on the road. - price dropped to £400. Breaker anyone?

Comment

Shouldn't be hard to make a few quid on that car braking it, GLWS

Comment

How much !
            Please somebody buy this car and save it !

....and drop a 3B lump in and sell it to me next year
            For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

No idea how much this is killing me... so cheap and no interest. These just don't sell! You guys don't want to know where this will go if nobody buys

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkorin View Post
                No idea how much this is killing me... so cheap and no interest. These just don't sell! You guys don't want to know where this will go if nobody buys
                At least take off a few of the nice bits if your'e going to crush it, Front bumper is worth 200 quid on its own. Sorry Im not in a position to buy it myself

Comment

PM'd
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

il buy it if mr simmonds doesnt
                    NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Right, all of a sudden I've got offers... Sorry I've been away yesterday and today and haven't had a chance to respond to all PMs. You should all have one back.

K Simmonds has first dibs, Philj second and audinut third.

I'll try to respect this order, but I'm fairly keen to get rid (hence the soul destroying price) so if someone can definitely sort the deal quick I'll prioritise.

Comment

I'll be straight up, I'm only interested in making a bit of cash on the side from breaking it, which would be a pity as it's such a rare care. So if either of the other members want to take it on as a project I'll step out, I've got too many cars as it is and would rather see this car saved.
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

fiddle sticks, if only the steering wheel was on the other side, i would strongly look into importing the car. i would love a 2.8 coupe to drop my 2.7 into, don't even have to make new motor mounts, just exhaust (which i already have done).

hope this goes to a good home, looks nice.
                          2011 black VW Touareg TDI - Daily/hauler
                          1991 black CQ- rally poser
                          1990 titan CQ- rombotis brunhilde racecor
                          1986 black Yamaha Fazer FZX - cafe bike project

Comment

Still here....

Comment

Another buyer fallen through - this is now a breaker, so if anyone wants anything let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X