No announcement yet.

MK1 Golf GTi tin top. tax & MOT, cheap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK1 Golf GTi tin top. tax & MOT, cheap.

Hey guys, due to downsizing my fleet, I ideally need to sell my MK1.

Due to time constraints with other projects, I'm offering it for sale until the end of the weekend only, for £1500. Before reading any further, please note that this is the minimum amount I will accept. Please do not make any offers, as I will not consider them, this is already the cheapest roadworthy MK1 GTi I can find anywhere. I would consider taking either a PS4 or XBone in P/X too. The only concession I will make is that I will knock £250 off if you bring your own wheels, though I would rather it all go together.

This Golf was named Hatty by its previous owner, because of the reg plate. [] She is taxed until January, and MOT'd until late April, so she is fully road worthy. the Odo reads just under 200,000 miles presently.

i should probably start by saying that if you are after a concourse, standard MK1 GTi, you should look elsewhere. If you are after a quiet, comfortable daily driver, you should probably look elsewhere. If You are looking for a fantastic, fun weekend car, that is taxed and MOT'd, you have come to the right place.

It is still on its original 1.8 8v engine, but it has been quite heavily breathed on, and is running approximately 160hp according to the paperwork that came with her. It is also running a shorter ratio gearbox (possibly from an earlier GTi). Combined with her light weight, she feels quick. No power steering, and no ABS means that you feel totally involved! To improve her handling, she is fully poly bushed, and runs Vipertech suspension. The ride isn't as harsh as it would be on cheap coilovers, but it isn't a soft ride! Cornering is fantastic though, she really does feel like a go kart! She also has Trimsport strutbraces, front and rear. The wheels are genuine Ronal R10 Turbos, in a polished finish. These have some very minor corrosion and kerbing, but don't really need a refurb, they are very presentable. They are fitted with good Yokohama tyres all round.

As I mentioned before, this is not an immaculate car. She is very solid for a mk1, but does have a few minor areas of bubbling and rust. The shell is generally solid, and as she is stripped out, you can easily check this for yourself. The worst areas of rust are as follows:

- Front wing. One of the front wings is covered in rust. As soon as I noticed the bubbling, I sourced a replacement used genuine VW wing in the right colour. However, after removing the paint, it seems as though this rust is a reaction to a poor paint job at some point in the past. While there are large patches of surface rust on the wing, it is still very solid, and could be repainted. The spare wing does come with the car though.
    - Inner passenger side windscreen pillar has some rot setting in (3" long x 1" wide approx) but it is by no means terminal.
    - metal behind boot seal - I've just had the worst of this repaired, but the garage forgot to do a couple of spots.
    - the odd small bit around the windscreen, and a little near one of the rear windows.
    - a few bubbles on the tailgate.

I would encourage anyone to come and view the car. I make it sound worse than it is, but I just want to be 100% honest with the description.

The paintwork is in reasonable condition. It polishes up fairly well, but does have marks on it in keeping with its age. There is also lacquer peel in places, especially around the top of the drivers door. Remember, I'm not trying to sell you a concourse car, and the price reflects these issues. The car is fitted with a Brittax vinyl sunroof, which is period correct for this car. The roof really needs restoring, but it still holds out all but the worst rain or a direct blast from a pressure washer. This sunroof really adds to the driving experience on a sunny day or a clear night!

Mechanically, the car is in fine fettle. She has a straight through exhaust, so she is fairly loud. The poly engine mounts mean that the car vibrates on idle, but this does calm down when driving. You could replace the engine mounts to solve this, but she wouldn't handle as well. As she's never been a daily drive for me, I've never had an issue with this. She's just had an oil change, and a full inspection at the garage that did her MOT. The only advisories were mild corrosion on the brake pipes, and the discs were a little rusty through lack of use. I'm now driving around in her on a daily basis, and the brakes are working fine.

She comes with a large folder full of paperwork from over the years. Although there are gaps, it is quite comprehensive, and paints a good picture for the care and attention Hatty has received. I have spent quite a bit of money over the last few months, including a new battery, new plugs, new leads etc.

The interior is largely stripped out. save for a pair of leather front seats. These arent in great condition, but are very comfortable and supportive. The car can also be supplied with a set of 'rainbow stripe' seats from a 16v MK2, which will fit with some minor work. These are in very good condition, and are worth quite a bit on their own - I will include these within the price IF the buyer want them.
    Should you wish to refit the full interior trim, the car comes with many of the interior parts too. No stereo or speakers fitted.

So, if you want an affordable, fun mk1 GTi, that you can use without fear of putting a few miles on, this one is a good bet. With some MK1s being sold for over £20k these days, this is an affordable way into MK1 ownership. Or, if you're just after a cool, retro track car, she suits this too. She would also make a great base for a project, but please don't think about fitting a soulless 1.8t engine to my car! I also have a 2.0 16v Corrado, which could be used as a transplant. I will give the buyer first refusal on this car, and the parts from it.

I've tried to be as accurate with the description as I can, but it's always better to see in person.

Last edited by j_jza80; 4 September 2014, 20:40.
    EX S2 ABY owner, now driving a BMW E39 530D manual & a MK1 Golf GTi called 'Hattie'
    My second Supra, a very special 1997 RZ-S 6 speed single
Working...
X