Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A6 Diesel mystery coolant loss

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help (non S2 but hey you guys know your stuff!)

My Audi A6 1.9tdi seems to have developed a habbit of losing coolant over a period of about 1000miles. It did it after driving like a nutter over 3 mountain passes in the french alps back in May when the alarm came on. We took it to a local Audi garage and they tested and reported no probs - we drove back to the uk without any probs. then it started again, dropping well below the min limit but as i was checking the car frequently it didnt get low enough to set the alarm off....

There are no visible damp patches on the drive or obvious leaks visible anywhere. Guages all read well within spec, no high temps or anything...? I suspect it could be a head gasket failure but there is nothing but clean/pink coolant in the header tank so anyone got any ideas what could be causing it????? I am at a loss but have booked it in for a visual inspection at my local VAG this afternoon to see if anythings up when removing the belly pan.

Cheers

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

you may have innside leak in the head, its usual on the head,or frequently leak turbo,some mod have watercooled bearinghousing in turbo.....you need som new parts,but ......

Comment

If its not leaking it, then it must be drinking it - not what you want to hear I know... Has it been pressure tested by Audi ? Theres a handpump widget thing that attaches to the expansion tank for this purpose...

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
        If its not leaking it, then it must be drinking it - not what you want to hear I know... Has it been pressure tested by Audi ? Theres a handpump widget thing that attaches to the expansion tank for this purpose...

Paul
        Friend of mine was using his one of these the other day! Very helpful, sadly it pointed at his head is fooked!

Pressure it up, then fire the engine up, if the pressure starts to climb more straight away it apparently shows the head is leaking in, apparently it fluctuates if its the bottom end... think thats what he said, i was doing other things as he was blabbering away lol
        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Cheers guys, this is not looking good and feeling more expensive by the minute!
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

the engine head for the 1,9 tdi aren't expensive....only 650 euro

Comment

Hi!,

Does the oil show any sign of being emulisified?
              If you car has one of those water cooled oil coolers, they are known to fail.

Comment

nope oil and coolant all look absolutely fine???
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

David, on Passats and A4's its very common for the heater matrix to fail. Is there a curry type smell in the car?? The passenger footwell area damp under the carpets??
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                  Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Oh theres a dark thought...
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Cheers Tom but it doesnt smell funny - will check the carpet though. The local stealer found a couple of leaks - one on the rear of the engine some seal or other and a coolant weep from higher up. I'm not currently convinced that these are the reasons for so much fluid disappearing but who knows. Its booked in for a proper nosy about next friday - once they have diagnosed it I will probably give u a call and you can price it up if you like
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

No probs David. You know the number
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...