High Tech Diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Tech Diesels

Just been reading up on some of the technology in my other Audi - a 2.5TDi allroad. At 180bhp that V6 lump was the most efficient in its day. What I find interesting is some of the technology used in this engine that until recently was associated only with high end motorsport applications.

There's variable turbine geometry (VNT) on the turbo, a cyclone for air/oil separation of crankcase fumes and some high tech metals and bearing designs for the pistons & con-rods. There's also a special cooler for reducing fuel temperature !

I've never owned a diesel before so its a learning thing for me... This thing runs a compression ratio of 18.5 and runs around 1850bar fuel pressure. Jees.

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

They have come a long way in the last few years, i once had a 1991 Audi 80 TD, it was totally mechanical, it only had one wire connecting to the fuel distributer and that was only there so you could shut the engine down For a 1.6 litre turbo diesel it was surprisingly strong.

I think your motor has something like 270lb/ft of torque
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

congrats, you bought it then.....so how is it
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
        a cyclone for air/oil separation of crankcase fumes
        Paul

How big is it and will it work on a gas powered motor? does it drain back to the crankcase? Maybe a picture? What year is the car?

Greg W.
        They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

I did notice in ETKA most Golfs and allmost all Polos with the weedy engines have an oil seperator/cylcone installed...

Comment

wonder what the air cyclone is like and how cheap it is? might be useful on the S2
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I thought that but while searching i found lots of VW forums with people complaing about them clogging up and being problematic. Gave up on the idea and was going to buy an alloy catch tank instead. I'm waiting to see about the possible group buy for them here on the forumm sounds like the best option so far....

@Paul, show us a piccy?

Comment

E46 BMW 523 / 525i use the air cyclone. From BMW £38 + VAT
                Never show a fool a half built house.
                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
                The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

I've got an old one here, looks like a charcoal canister, 3 vacuum pipes and an electrical connector. BMW describes it on their Family Album as a "Cyclone Valve".
                  Never show a fool a half built house.
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
                  The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

Working...
                  X