Turbo off to remove manifold on 1z?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo off to remove manifold on 1z?

Was told I shouldn't need to remove turbo to remove inlet manifold, but can't get to 2 manifold torque bolts either side of the turbo. Turbo will be awkward to remove without being able to get under the car so keen to find an alternative.

Bought a really diddy ratchet so job done now, as expected inlet manifold about 50% blocked. Whats the best stuff to leave this soaking in? Dremmel could come in handy for scraping out corners praps?

Comment

diesel will do the job; then å really proper highpressure waterjet.... not the cheap home waterjet...

Comment

Sounds like I need to do this on mine. Where can you get the gaskets? How long did it take?

Be interested to know if it makes any difference!

1995 Audi 80 Avant 1.9 TDi
        1995 Fiesta Zetec Turbo Project
        1998 Mazda MX-5 1.8 'RS'

Comment

The difference is really noticeable, if like mine-your car has had an egr on for the past 160k the inlet will be v clogged. I spent ages soaking mine then pressure washing it out till it looked brand new. Car now pulls stronger mid range and seems to pull for longer. No gaskets required just keep your old ones, the rubber one off top of manifold should be ok too.

Comment

Where is the rubber one? Between the elbow and manifold?

1998 Mazda MX-5 1.8 'RS'

Comment

If I needed the car the next day I would want new gaskets on hand.

If its a budget project you can always see what they come off like.
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Totally forgot to ring round today, will have to try tomorrow but really want to get stuck in on Saturday!

Will try Euro's and Audi I guess, possibly local places.

1998 Mazda MX-5 1.8 'RS'

Comment

I did the manifold, it probably had 20% of what is shown in the photo above

1998 Mazda MX-5 1.8 'RS'

Comment

did mine yesterday - complete pig if you work around the turbo and dont have a diddy ratchet - huge difference though!

Comment

Working...
                    X