New daily - 1.9TDI Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New daily - 1.9TDI Avant

ok, needed another temporary car to keep me going while Bertha is gearing up for major surgery over the winter... T28 + other bits, respray and lashings of leather

So scouring fleabay, I found this, bid on it and won it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1408729264...84.m1439.l2649

thanks
    Last edited by 1781cc; 13 August 2013, 21:16.

Right, this wont be a huge build thread or anything like that, but as quite a few people are using these cars as solid dailys I thought I might post some updates. No major plans with it other than making it nice and clean again, maybe with a few subtle changes.

pics of it after landing on the driveway. it made the 120 mile drive back to my house on a mere sip of slimy stuff but there are a few issues outside of the obvious seat and bodywork bits you can see in the photos.

Sunroof isnt sitting level and gets stuck halfway open, I should have guessed I that would have happened as it was raining, I was stuck in traffic on the M6 and I was bored! :wall:

the other issue is that it doesn't appear to want to start at the moment, got to be battery or similar, but being as I am away I havent investigate it further at the moment.

I have two wings and a new bumper coming from a breaker on ebay at £115 delivered, so thats a good start!

pics:

Comment

been tidying up the bodywork and getting some things sorted on this - hoping its not going to become obsessive and full of mods, but there will be some stuff done while the B3 is off the road (currently having the bloody idle issue looked at by Marlin Motorsport in Bletchley)

So, wings and front bumper arrived and Quattronutter and Acidburn bolted them in place over at Bahnstorm while I was away with work - kudos guys, appreciate the help!

Pete's Tdi looking cool in white:

Once on, I went to town on the exterior, T-Cut & Autoglym products and a pile of hard graft over 3 days... the results are pretty good I think, I still need to find two doors on the drivers side, only going to look for red B4 ones to save cost, I think the main focus of anything I do on this is cost, I dont want to dilute efforts on my B3

So, wheels are a mess, battered, two slow punctures, thinning thread and I had to crowbar off the locking centre caps anyway to get access to the nuts. During winter, the B3 will be garaged and this will be the daily, so the winter tyres will be going on this, but I will need some summer wheels.

Finally, I have a replacement drivers seat coming from Paul Eagle - when Yodel decide to deliver that is (!)

All in, I think she's looking pretty good for a £208 fleabay purchase

Comment

I think it would look awesome dropped and shoved on steelies Hehehe...

Oh and I am getting nightmares about polishing red cars already just looking at these pics!!! My previous car, a red B4 coupe... was white when I got it and then red and then gradually pink despite trying to polish it weekly!!! NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo! Good luck mate!

Comment

Superb!! £208!!!! I spent three pence short of £95 filling the S4 Friday! B5 S4 rims (or original S2 16s for that matter) would work a treat as summers....

Your slow punctures are more likely to be the rims, tyre seating or tyre valves I'd imagine? One so bad you chucked a steel on?
          B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

But its 4x108 ^

A set of Dare split fakes would look the nuts.
            I have my TDi on coilovers and dares with a V6 front, you may have seen it as i live in MK too.

Looking good btw
            Last edited by Gavin A; 4 December 2012, 12:08.

Comment

Damn I wish I could get them that cheap over

Always nice polishing the car to red again. Did you also you a clay kit? Works lovely and makes the paintwork very smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin A View Post
                But its 4x108 ^

A set of Dare split fakes would look the nuts.
                I have my TDi on coilovers and dares with a V6 front, you may have seen it as i live in MK too.

Looking good btw
                Such things as a 5 stud conversion can be sorted out

I managed against the odds to find a set of 5 16" 80 competition alloys for my tdi saloon. That saves my considering a five stud conversion for now.
                1996 Audi S6 Avant.
                1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

thanks guys, and Ian, I echo that they would look nice, but new audi's and S2's are 5x112 PCD so no go. The theme with this is to be disgustingly cheap.

This morning I have fitted new front discs and pads for £90, an eBay EGR blanking plate for £2 and replaced a hose with a bit of silicon piping I had lying around. Going ok so far...

I've ordered 4x Vredesden Ultrac Sessantas in 225/45/17 to wrap the RS4 replicas I am going to drop on the B3, and the 15" alloys off that (with new Goodyear Ultragrip 8's on) will come over to this car. The B3 is going to be garaged in the main on modified classic, limited mileage insurance, so makes sense to have the winters on this.

The other day I popped up to Liverpool and for £135 managed to secure an S2 load cover, some very rare B3 black leather doorcards, a perfect audi 90 rear panel and a new B3 front grill complete with rings.

So, my conundrum is:

- do I put the 90 panel on this? or do I put it on the B3, thus blurring the lines and making that appear more like a 90?

Comment

oh, and the only thing that I am not happy about is that this car doesn't have any roof bars...

Comment

Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post
                      thanks guys, and Ian, I echo that they would look nice, but new audi's and S2's are 5x112 PCD so no go. The theme with this is to be disgustingly cheap.

This morning I have fitted new front discs and pads for £90, an eBay EGR blanking plate for £2 and replaced a hose with a bit of silicon piping I had lying around. Going ok so far...

I've ordered 4x Vredesden Ultrac Sessantas in 225/45/17 to wrap the RS4 replicas I am going to drop on the B3, and the 15" alloys off that (with new Goodyear Ultragrip 8's on) will come over to this car. The B3 is going to be garaged in the main on modified classic, limited mileage insurance, so makes sense to have the winters on this.

The other day I popped up to Liverpool and for £135 managed to secure an S2 load cover, some very rare B3 black leather doorcards, a perfect audi 90 rear panel and a new B3 front grill complete with rings.

So, my conundrum is:

- do I put the 90 panel on this? or do I put it on the B3, thus blurring the lines and making that appear more like a 90?
                      I intended mine to be cheap so I could work at the S2, spending more time and money on the tdi than the S2 at the moment!
                      1996 Audi S6 Avant.
                      1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

happens mate, I am trying not to get carried away with it and generally either use cheap parts if I find them, failing that its a case of use what I have.

I really want the B3 complete, resprayed, T28 in place and chasing the big boys.

I think the main appeal of older audis is they are so easy to work on, and cost effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin A View Post
                          But its 4x108 ^
                          I'd never even noticed standard models were four stud whereas the S2 was five!
                          B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post

So, my conundrum is:

You got those door cards then? I have a spare 90 panel I can bring up to aidens for you to have a look at if you want?

And Yeah they all start out as projects then end up like mine

Comment

Hi Pete, I got the cards, pukka thanks, also got a 90 panel from the same guy - just not sure if should put it on this or the B3

Comment

Working...
                              X