Bit of a leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a leak

My 80 avant has been off the road for a while now, sat outside on the drive. Its been apparent theres moisture getting in by the steamed up windows, managed to trace it to the boot. The little cubby hole on the left handside of the boot, where the jack etc usually lives feels damp, the sticky spongey sound proofing that seems to line that cubby hole was sopping wet but only the bottom piece. the sides were dry. Im curious as to where this damp is coming from, there does seem to be a grill within that cubby hole, with flaps covering it presumably leading out to behind the side of the rear bumper. been lead to believe this gril is to allow the gases out from the airbags in the event of a crash. The grill however seems covered by the flaps and i cant see how water is getting in from there. Its not the end of the world and the car will likely dry out a lot when in regular use, but just wondered if anyone had encoutered this before or heard tales of this previously.

i've had it before on a car thats been standing for a while. Never did bother sorting it.

Comment

If I had to bet on it I'd say the seals around the rear lights is the issue. Had this before on a saloon and think I may have it again on the saloon I have now.
      1996 Audi S6 Avant.
      1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

Did a little more invstigating today, the carpetted tailgate cover is wet but only at the bottom, perhaps its coming in through the lights within the bootlid or the rear wiper? im going to remove the rear wiper completely tomorrow.

Comment

The grill with flaps is to let compression out when you slam the doors shut.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer87 View Post
            No it's not, it's a secret entrance for water gremlins! They come if you neglect your Audi and leave it unloved for any period of time! If you leave it long enough you will return to find their private swimming pool in one of your foot wells!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer87 View Post
              Not quite - the grills are part of the cabin ventilation system, a through flow idea - fresh air in at the front, stale air out the back (unless it's on recirculation setting) in that case, no fresh air is allowed to enter the cabin
              Audi S2 Coupe 1995
              VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
              VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
              Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Also to prevent cabin pressure. When opening and closing doors. Remove the bumper and watch the flaps as you open shut the door :!

Comment

Roof aerial..maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Louie C View Post
                    No it's not, it's a secret entrance for water gremlins! They come if you neglect your Audi and leave it unloved for any period of time! If you leave it long enough you will return to find their private swimming pool in one of your foot wells!!!
                    Have literally just sucked rear passenger footwell dry this eve! how did you know.... common problem?

Comment

Originally posted by gunman View Post
                      If I had to bet on it I'd say the seals around the rear lights is the issue. Had this before on a saloon and think I may have it again on the saloon I have now.
                      This is what was causing it on my old coupe. Tightening up the light cluster nuts on the inside was enough to stop it.

Comment

Working...
                      X