2.5 tdi ANJ crankshaft broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 tdi ANJ crankshaft broken

I was very proud of my 2003 vw lt that it has 700.000km on clock without opening engine,factory turbo.
    But desaster strikes:
    Crakn broken on the nr 1 bigend.No oil starvation,bearings not hot,only damage of the running engine with broken crank.
    It was the front pulley that was wobbleing since a fiew month?
    Or it was time
    I will open it and see how bores look,will make a rebuild to last another 500.000
    No oil deposits in 700.000 km.Look how clean all is.
    Attached Files

wow!!!! how the heck does a crank break like that

Comment

I think wobly front pulley did that.Will a rigid one with no xucking ruber be ok for the hidraulic tensioner?

Comment

Originally posted by campbellWS View Post
        wow!!!! how the heck does a crank break like that
        If you followed some of the links about the harmonic balancer you will find that there are stories about two engines on a test bed, one with a harmonic balancer and one without. Both rev'd to something like 5000 or 6000 RPM. The one without the harmonic balancer lasted only minutes.

Bottomline: Missing or damaged harmonic balancer/damper = recipe for disaster.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Nope, looks like normal low cycle fatique looking at the clean fracture surface. Crack originates from the smallest area, at the oil bore hole.

Comment

This is a van with tdi so no 5000 6000 rpm needed.All i5 diesel(2.4,2.5)have harmonic?

Comment

Originally posted by pasbogdan View Post
              This is a van with tdi so no 5000 6000 rpm needed.All i5 diesel(2.4,2.5)have harmonic?
              I am sure they (all the I5s) have some form of harmonic damper. Here is a failing one from a C4 AAT diesel:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/157639.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Lot of ruber there.Not all have so much.

Comment

All 5 cylinder engines need some sort of external balancer due to the 2nd and 3rd degree harmonics created
                  sigpic
                  "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                  BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                  1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                  2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

I'm replacing mine on the van next cam belt change. I'm on nearly 190000 miles and just done second cambelt change.

I have a bet with a fellow t4 owner: £1000 first to 1 million miles on original engine

looked after these engines should out live you!
                    sigpic
                    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

I measured main bearings bores with caps tightened and found 0.05-0.07 deviations.Not worth reboring the crank line because i found a perfect bores/main lines AGX sdi block.Do you think material in it will the same?

Comment

Visualy(holes etc) and dimensions are the same at 2 blocks.Why are 2 codes?one for anj tdi and one for agx sdi?

Comment

No oil squinters on sdi.?

Comment

I think that the main reason is to make the identification of engine more easy . When you go to make M.O.T ( ITP in Romania) the tehnician will check if you have the engine from the car's paperwork.
                            Audi S4 2.2T 5 spd 1992 for parts
                            AUDI A4 1.9TDI daily use

Audi 80 Quattro 2.0 16V (ACE) aka Competition

Comment

Oil sprayers also on sdi.

Comment

Working...
                              X