AEL VCDS connection problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEL VCDS connection problems

My A6 has stopped connecing to VCDS, I get the message 'not connected to car'. The same cable and laptop connect to the S2 no problem. Today I've tried tracing the wires from the 2x2 plugs back to the ECU.

Black plug
    Brown wire - Connects to brown wire on ECU pins 18 & 19
    Red/white wire - Connects to red/white wire on ECU pin 43
    Also get 12v across these when ignition is on

White plug
    Green wire - Connects to Green/Black wire on ECU pin 42
    White wire - Should connect to pin 27 on ECU. See pic below. Also connects to the pin shown in bottom RH corner of fusebox.

I have nothing in pin 27

The Haynes manual confirms that the K & L lines should be pins 27 & 42, even if the wire colours are different. My white wire on the 2x2 plug does not connect to anything on the ECU and I'm presuming this is the problem but where should it go??

Anybody got any other ECU schematics for the AEL?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

I think this a pin out but its in German!
    http://www.24max.de/audifaq/TDI_STG/Belegung_EDC_A6.htm
    It looks like pin 27 has the right colour code (ws) but seems to be connected to cars with auto gearbox which have assorted safety circuits wired in.
    This is a wiring diagram but appears to be cobbled together. Only seems to show the K line and pin 27 going to some sort of ecu!
    http://www.24max.de/audifaq/TDI_STG/A6_C4_MJ95_003.pdf

Comment

Looks like pin 27 is used to control a pre heater (Steuergerät Zusatzheizung)!
      Guess if you don't have one it should be unpopulated!

Comment

Perhaps there is no L line!
        If there are no other ring terminals on the L terminal post its not connected to anything else. The K is heavily populated. The 2X2 might just be a hangover from the ancient Motronic AAN rather than the OBD2 port.
        The L line is used apparently to wake up older ecu's. Perhaps the later ecu's in the A6 did not need this.
        Last edited by twoqu; 30 March 2013, 23:07.

Comment

Hello,

i having the same issue with the same car.There
          is no voltage supply on black connector.Did you solved it?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
            My A6 has stopped connecting to VCDS, I get the message 'not connected to car'.

The Haynes manual confirms that the K & L lines should be pins 27 & 42, even if the wire colours are different. My white wire on the 2x2 plug does not connect to anything on the ECU and I'm presuming this is the problem but where should it go??

Anybody got any other ECU schematics for the AEL?
            That implies that VCDS once did connect to the ECU which further implies that someone stole your "27" pin and wire (highly unlikely).

Seems odd to me that 27 and 42 are the pins in question. For the AAN (and 3B and ABY and ADU) the K and L diagnostics are off Pins T55/13 and T55/55 and T55/27 is just switched power to the ECU.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Hello Urs4boy,
              Thank you for your answer.It is still not clear what could happened with the pins if it was working correctly before i do not believe that someone stole my pin27 ecu input

Comment

* Ecu output(switvched power what i meant

Comment

i'm sure that the black 2 plug is just a power suply
                  red/white +,brown -,i woud control this with a light blub

white 2plug,according to the wire diagram from twoqu you have 2 possibilities
                  with pre heater and autm gearbox or pre heater and manual gearbox
                  maybe is andy p 's car just a manuel without pre heater?
                  andy,can you confirm this?
                  you also can check the connections(K and L) in the auxilary relay panel,maybe there is a screw loose
                  audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                  TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                  AEM W/M injection

Comment

Well the interesting that i checked with multimeter the white plug and there i can measure 9 voltage,the easiest would be to add 12 volt to the diagnostic tool but i would like to know what is the problem why there is no supply on black connector

Comment

i found out on a other diagram that probably the power+ from the black plug comes from fuse s19(the same as for the horn) but i'm not sure
                      the 9v you measure on the with plug comes from the ecu internally
                      AEM W/M injection

Comment

I seem to remember mine was an issue with a cheap VCDS lead, I bought the real version so I could check the timing and it's been fine ever since.
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

ooops,i have not seen that it was an old thread from you ,sorry
                          AEM W/M injection

Comment

Working...
                          X