Any diesel tuning experts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any diesel tuning experts out there?

In particular, anyone with knowledge on Bosch ve injection pumps?

Dieseldes on here.

Comment

http://www.groundwirus.lt/lt/projekt...80-1-9tdi.html

Comment

Mechanical or electronic control? How many cylinders?

Comment

What car and what do you need to know?
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Mechanical or electronic control? How many cylinders?
            Mechanical, 5 cylinders of course

I'm doing a turbo conversion on my VW T4 2.4d. I've acquired an injection pump from an audi 100td to use.

The audi pump is basically the same as the T4 (it has the lda unit for boost enrichment of course) except from a mounting plate at the front and a different cold start device.

The T4 pump uses a manual cable operated cold start, the audi pump is a bit more elaborate and looks to me like it's controlled by engine coolant temperature.

Picture shows mounting plates at this end of the pump, I will be able to take plate off the old pump on the right and put on new pump on the left. However I wouldn't then be able to have the auto cold start device on the pump as it mounts to this plate

You can see the cold start lever on this side of the old pump - on the audi pump this part is blanked off. I am thinking it would be straight forward enough to transfer the manual cold start over to the audi pump? Or do without it, van usually manages to start without.

You can see in the pic below that the auto cold start lever on side of the pump is also connected to the throttle lever on top... I'm guessing if i do transfer over the manual cold start I'd have to get rid of the auto one, which is going to leave some holes in the side of the pump...?!

When the throttle is closed, the throttle lever actually stops on the small ball at top of the cold start lever, rather than on the idle adjust screw.

I am a bit worried about how removing the auto cold start will affect the throttle. I guess one option is just to mount the pump leaving the auto cold start in place but not connecting it up - but I don't know if this would mean the cold start advance was permanently on?

If anyone has done this sort of thing before your comments or advice would be very much appreciated

Comment

I had the pleasure of driving a buddies 2.4 Transporter fitted with an aftermarket turbo upgade. The problem was that its still a 2.4!
              They aren't a great engine and I would advise that you reconsider the project before you continue. The 2.4 is indirect injection, so it won't be as torquey or as fuel efficient as the 2.5 tdi that replaced it. In my opinion, I'd fit a 2.5 tdi motor.

Comment

Ecotune in hillington might be a good shout, I know that they are very good.

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/

Comment

Believe me I have weighed up the pros and cons, and having got the parts needed for a few hundred quid for what is a bolt on conversion I'm going to go ahead with that rather than spend £2000+ on a donor van and then have the trouble of swapping engines in and out and a wiring nightmare... Not to mention that I'd really need to find a syncro gearbox from a tdi too...

I'm not after a fast van by any means.. just one that will sit at 70mph whilst going up a motorway hill...

Many conversions run without the modified pump but having come across this one, thought I would try it

Comment

Ecotune in hillington might be a good shout, I know that they are very good.

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/
                    Cheers, they look like more of a remapping place though? This is old school stuff, very little electronics and no software!

Comment

Thats a little different to the 2l TD pump thats on my engine, mine has a cable cold start system for advancing the timing, however sure this wont matter.

The 2l TD pump has a 17mm shaft only, this renders its unreliable for injecting larger amounts of diesel, however by the sounds of your plans it will be ok. If you are only looking to reach around 150hp the 2l TD pump bolted on will be fine. The best resources I have found for VE pumps is 306 D-turbo forums, you will find information on adjusting mixture and the LDA

However the best thing todo would be to build the LDA onto the top of the 2.4D pump, again best resource is 306 forums.

If you where looking for serious power and boost there is a 13mm punger available on ebay.de this build onto a 2.4 pump with a 2.5 tdi pump cam plate and a suitable LDA will pump enough diesel for 300hp.

Currently dying off a flu, but I'll hunt down a few links and info later

Comment

However the best thing todo would be to build the LDA onto the top of the 2.4D pump, again best resource is 306 forums.

If you where looking for serious power and boost there is a 13mm punger available on ebay.de this build onto a 2.4 pump with a 2.5 tdi pump cam plate and a suitable LDA will pump enough diesel for 300hp.

Currently dying off a flu, but I'll hunt down a few links and info later
                        Thanks, i'll have a look through the 306 forum and if you can post any other links that'd be great. Unfortunately the 2.4 pump is in need of a rebuild - I was looking at around £600 to have it reconditioned and modified with an lda from a toyota pump - the audi pump I have bought looks to be in good condition so we'll see.

I'd be more than happy with 100hp - 300 way too much, got the s2 for that anyway Going to have a look at this now to see if I could just keep the posh automatic cold start system in...

Comment

Working...
                        X