decat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decat?

gonna decat my audi 80 avant 1z this afternoon, may even remove the centre box, good idea or not concerning the centre box? thank god it won't boo

How did you get on with this mate?

Comment

great, removed the cat and the centre box. made a very noticeable difference to acceleration and not much difference in sound. the whistle from the turbo on take off is slightly louder but it sounds good. really woke the car up, more free flowing. i definitely reccommend it!!
      only downside is i think over there you need the cat in place for the mot? you could just jeep the cat in place and gut the insides though. i'll try and make a vid of the sound

Comment

I think the rules on diesels and cats for MOTs, especially around this sorta age is quite relaxed, it's more about smoke output from what I remember?

Comment

you should find out and if it's not a problem then go for it, you won't regret it. i had a friend who is good at welding do it, removed the cat and centre box and welded in straight pipe in under 2 hours.

Comment

I think at the moment I might gut the cat and leave it in place, next year when I go pd I will probably get a custom exhaust made for it with a hot swappable cat area, interested to see your video though mate

Comment

whatever you do make sure it doesn't make that horrible booing sound!

Comment

Do you need it in for the nct?Might do mine too.

Comment

Originally posted by colm9944 View Post
                  Do you need it in for the nct?Might do mine too.
                  No its just a smoke test tor the nct, remove the cat and the centre box. I was supposed to make a vid but forgot, will try and do it this week. Doesn't sound like a tractor at all, just gives a nice whistle from the turbo on take off.

Comment

When you remove the cat from tdi's you will notice more smoke from the tailpipe for a while. This is down to the rest of the exhaust getting hotter and burning more crap from the silencer. Don't de-cat the day before NCT. Been there done that!

Comment

Originally posted by wesgt View Post
                      No its just a smoke test tor the nct, remove the cat and the centre box. I was supposed to make a vid but forgot, will try and do it this week. Doesn't sound like a tractor at all, just gives a nice whistle from the turbo on take off.
                      hi mate... did you make a video?

I already have a De Cat on my 5 cylinder AEL Quattro TDi but I'm thinking of removing the centre box as well. Just hope it will sound okay.
                      C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
                      2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
                      Schrick 272 cam
                      C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                      ITG filter

Comment

Interested to see this vid myself
                        84 URQ 20VT
                        95 avant 80 TDI
                        87 CQ

Comment

I'm planning on a decat for my quattro 1.9tdi half tempted to get a full system made up for it.
                          1997 A4 avant 110 TDI Quattro

Comment

Working...
                          X