Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1z speed sensor

Hey oilers

Where exactaly can i find my speed sensor? Trying to get rid of the common judder problems. My car allready had the blue/white wire cut when I got to it. I pulled the No12 fuze out and it runs like a dream with zero judder but.... It kills all the instruments. Figured I can live without a speedo (hense the speedo sensor unpluging) but I can't live without a fuel gauge.

Thanks,
    Tom

are you taking about the speed sensor on the gearbox?

0n the drivers side of the gearbox just above the driveshaft, There's 2 connectors, from memory its the top one. You can get at it from the engine bay.
    1996 Audi S6 Avant.
    1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

I don't understand the link between speed sensor and judder but hey the speed sensor is on the LHS of the gearbox above the front driveshaft. It's an easy reach from the engine compartment and you can just unplug the connector.

You'll also loose MPG, average speed etc. from the computer.

John

Comment

Originally posted by gunman View Post
        are you taking about the speed sensor on the gearbox?

0n the drivers side of the gearbox just above the driveshaft, There's 2 connectors, from memory its the top one. You can get at it from the engine bay.
        Nop, the speed sensor and connector is on the passenger side (LHS), certainly on ABY anyway. IIRC it's the reversing light switch that's on the driver's side.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
          I don't understand the link between speed sensor and judder but hey the speed sensor is on the LHS of the gearbox above the front driveshaft. It's an easy reach from the engine compartment and you can just unplug the connector.

You'll also loose MPG, average speed etc. from the computer.

John
          Thanks mate.

It's a pretty well documented thing on these old TDI's. I believe it has a lot to do with the complicated fly by wire systems. Also being a tdi, it doesn't have a trip comp

Comment

yep, you're right

Got confused with my left and right there.

I think the link between speed sensor and juddering is that the ecu tries to smooth out the running by altering the IQ, when the pump get swarf built up this becomes 'sticky' hence the juddering. When the speed sensor is disconnected, the ecu doesnt get a reading from it so goes to a stock setup where it doesnt smooth out the throttle, hence the juddering stops. Also, then you'll get the harsh throttle response and slightly worse economy.
            1996 Audi S6 Avant.
            1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

Working...
            X