A3 brake pedal sinks, help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A3 brake pedal sinks, help please.

Looking for any pointers or suggestions. Brake pedal sinks to floor with the engine running after brake lines and bleeding.

2002 Audi A3 1.9tdi quattro sport

Was working ok.

New OSR brake calliper
    New NSR brake hardline/flexi
    New OSR brake hardline/flexi

OSR inner flexi was clamped, calliper line removed and left over weekend as wrong line supplied.
    New OSR brake calliper fitted
    New OSR brake line fitted
    New NSR brake line fitted

Bled rear brakes with the engine off, fluid came through clear, pedal feel good.

Turned on engine, brake pedal slowly sinks to floor if you keep pressure on it.
    Turn off engine, brake pedal solid.
    Bled rear brakes again
    Bled all brake callipers
    Bled master cylinder
    Fitted new bleed nipples
    Bled ABS pump
    Bled all brakes
    Bled ABS pump
    Bled all brakes
    Bled all brakes/master cylinder

Pedal still slowly sinks to the floor with the engine on if you keep pressure on it.

No visible leaks for brake lines/components, no signs of swelling flexis. No fluid loss (reservoir level does not drop)

Brakes were bled NSR, OSR, NSF, OSF manually with 2 people, down, open close, up repeat. ABS pump was bled through VAG COM following instructions on screen, solid fluid out both callipers, no air.

If you disconnect the servo vacuum the brake pedal feels fine, but no assist.

Current thoughts are the master cylinder seals may have been damaged/flipped after travelling the full length of the bore whilst bleeding, if there is a step worn, or a corrosion spot in the bore that is not usually swept? With the engine off the fluid bypass is so little you cannot notice it, but with the engine on the servo forces the fluid past at a noticeable rate?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

(I think I am just trying to avoid changing the master cylinder )

Thanks
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

I doubt it's a master if was ok before work started, could of damaged a seal when bleeding but unlikely.
    Are all the pads moving freely in the carriers, sliders moving freely? I have had to remove rear calipers to bleed before as the nipple isn't on the top it's kind of off to one side, air can get stuck in unless nipple is right up but obviously make sure the piston can't come out when bleeding.
    Could also be a collapsed brake hose?

Comment

Conventional wisdom would point to the master cylinder, are you sure it doesn't sink at all without the engine on?
      Any change with just ignition on? I had real issues bleeding the S4 until I used a pressure blender at 2bar as per the workshop manual. The 2 man method is usually fool proof though. Maybe you are just jinxed with Audis
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Master cylinder seals have failed during full.pedal strokes during bleeding..

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like Sunday will be master cylinder day...

Should I just use the pressure bleeder in future? I keep hearing horror stories of cracked reservoirs.

Or suck through with a mityvac?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Mityvac won't work, BTDT. You need about 2bar on a pressure bleeder I believe this is to overcome some valves in the ESP system or something. I think I used a bit less than 2bar as I was also scared of blowing the reservoir across the garage
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

New master cylinder fitted and its exactly the same

What pressure bleeder do you have or recommend?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Seriously try bleeding the rear brakes with the nipple at the top

Comment

I've seen rear lines collapse internally when clamped. Have you done the abs procedure through vcds.

Comment

Originally posted by rapido s2 View Post
                    Seriously try bleeding the rear brakes with the nipple at the top
                    Just cable tie a block of wood into the calliper and hold the bleed nipple up?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
                      I've seen rear lines collapse internally when clamped. Have you done the abs procedure through vcds.
                      So they swell back to normal under servo pressure? Any checks or diagnosis other than replace?

Bled ABS through vag com following the on screen procedure.

Also activated the ABS pump.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

If you are getting a good flow from each then it's unlikely. You must still have air in the system. Try bleeding with engine running.

Comment

Yea just need to gut the nipple to the highest point, as they are they are about 11 o'clock. Even just taking it off and undoing the nipple and letting gravity do its stuff should work

Comment

Does sound like air in the system. I use a gunson pressure bleeding kit tenner on ebay. Should the abs be put into a 'service' setting before bleeding the system?

Comment

The only.times I've ever had trouble is after changing hydraulic blocks on mk5 platform but only had to cycle abs with vague com. I personally don't like the pressure breeders.

Comment

Working...
                              X