A6/C4 AEL cambelt change cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A6/C4 AEL cambelt change cost?

Pretty sure the AEL A6 quattro is going to need a cambelt change asap .

Can anybody tell me how much it has cost them to have it done ?

Trying to decide if its worth it or not.

Also, anybody handy on the forum who does belt changes privately at a good price to fellow enthusiasts?
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

Are these essentially the same as the T4 acv ajt engine? If from memory it comes in around 280 for everything. Should be cheaper for you as you've done the pump belt and tensioners.. All you would need is belt tensioner water pump and new crank bolt.. And then sort your pump timing with vcds. I thought the ael was the v6 TDi, but a quick look reveals its a 5 cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
      Are these essentially the same as the T4 acv ajt engine? If from memory it comes in around 280 for everything. Should be cheaper for you as you've done the pump belt and tensioners.. All you would need is belt tensioner water pump and new crank bolt.. And then sort your pump timing with vcds. I thought the ael was the v6 TDi, but a quick look reveals its a 5 cylinder?
      Thanks for the reply
      Yes.. its a 5 pot!

I'm not sure if I will also need a new dampener? I've heard of people replacing these as well?

There isn't much room between the cam-belt, slam panel and radiator and air con rad and bumper, Would all these things need to come off for access to do the cam-belt change? Anybody know?

Schrick 272 cam
      C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
      ITG filter

Comment

Originally posted by MGaz View Post

Thanks for the reply
        Yes.. its a 5 pot!

I'm not sure if I will also need a new dampener? I've heard of people replacing these as well?

There isn't much room between the cam-belt, slam panel and radiator and air con rad and bumper, Would all these things need to come off for access to do the cam-belt change? Anybody know?
        bumper and slam panel needs to come off,then you can swing the rad out of the way to reveal all the front end.Theres a fair few non standard tools you need though so just bare that in mind if you are thinking of doing it yourself.

if your vibe damper is original then it will be on borrowed time,when they split in 2 it will destroy the engine if it happens at anything more than idle speed(basically it burns away the timing belt in the space of a few seconds).Seen it happen a few times on a6s,volvos and t4s with the same engine
        Last edited by spink; 24 July 2017, 17:44.

Comment

for some reason it wont let me post more than 2 lines of text

edit seems to be working ok now
          Last edited by spink; 24 July 2017, 17:41.

Comment

Comment

wrong thread

Last edited by macspring; 24 July 2017, 23:39.

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post

bumper and slam panel needs to come off,then you can swing the rad out of the way to reveal all the front end.Theres a fair few non standard tools you need though so just bare that in mind if you are thinking of doing it yourself.

if your vibe damper is original then it will be on borrowed time,when they split in 2 it will destroy the engine if it happens at anything more than idle speed(basically it burns away the timing belt in the space of a few seconds).Seen it happen a few times on a6s,volvos and t4s with the same engine

sounds expensive and a lot more involed than i was hoping.

Are you 100% percent positive that the slam panel HAS to come off?

Schrick 272 cam
                C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                ITG filter

Comment

Having done it more times most people have had hot dinners yes,it needs to come off

if the thought of removing the slam is scaring you then changing the timing belt is definitely not for you lmfao,it takes about a minute to remove

Comment

Nearly all Audis require the front end to go into the service position. As spink said though it really is simple Audi generalky thought it out. Most modern Audis have pins to slide the front panel forward on. I wpuld agree though if the vibration damper rubber is cracking the pulley will wobble. They were available through Febi at reasonable cost. You must replace the crank bolt though. You also need a crank counter hold tool and a cam locking plate and a counter hold tool for cam pulleys. Not a difgicult job. Loads on write ups on T4 forum.

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post
                      damper split in 2 ? Ok, then how to check if rubber is cracked or not ?

Comment

Originally posted by sailaz View Post

damper split in 2 ? Ok, then how to check if rubber is cracked or not ?
                        by looking at the front of the damper,its quite obvious if its ****ed or not as you will see the rubber is cracked unless it is a later superseeded version where the rubber is only visible once the damper is taken off the engine

Comment

http://www.audifans.net/ftopict-30017-damper.html

Comment

Thanks for the link, at least one photo was still 'alive'.
                            So when I looked at the ones I do have from AAR engine they look like new

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X