Braided brake hoses - potential GB??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided brake hoses - potential GB??

I have been in discussions with Goodridge about them making a braided brake hose kit for the RS2.
    The main reason for doing this is a set of OE flexi brake hoses for the RS2 works out at about £125
    The main reason for this being the outer rear OE flexi hoses are £45 each. Obviously this is a bespoke hose for the RS2 going to the rear Porsche calliper.
    Anyway a 6 line braided hose kit would work out in the region of £60-75.
    A braided front hose for the RS2 would probably fit S2s that have other Porsche/Brembo callipers also.
    Kits could also be done for standard S2 avants and coupes.
    Is there any interest in this out there?
    If so vote in the poll.
    Yes. For RS2 Avant
    47.37%
    Yes. For S2 Avant
    5.26%
    Yes. For S2 Coupe
    42.11%
    No
    5.26%
    Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
    Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

You can use the goodridge A4 Avant quattro kit for S2 Avants with porsche callipers. I have one on mine. The only difference is that the front flexi hoses are 10mm longer. The kit seems to be of very high quality and I've had mine on for two years so far with no problems at all.

The problem with the RS2 and the Coupe are that they use completely different rear hoses.

In addition the standard front brakes use two flexi hoses on both Avants and Coupes, although I can't see many people retaining the front brake setup.

I realise I've not added a great deal to this thread other than the Avant info but I would have thought there will be plenty of interest from the Coupe clan as well as your fellow RS2 owners.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

a brake upgrade will unfortunately have to wait, so would be interested in braided line kit for a standard set up S2 coupe.

but i have changed the discs and pads now for EBC turbo discs and redstuff pads (original discs were warped beyond help). very happy with the results. but i think the braided hoses would help that bit extra.
      '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

All right, here you are:
        http://www.s246parts.com/forsale/sho....php?product=2
        I did this months ago. I decided to just do them for myself and friends in the end because the idea was "dangerous", or so someone on here said. I'll supply you with the part numbers and a decent supplier if you want but the front hoses, done as one piece and with high quality fittings shouldn't cost you more than £35.00 a set. These hoses are childs play to make if you have half an ounce of mechanical ability.

graham.
        I let PN have the last word after all:-))
        Signature censored
        The member formerly known as tekkno300

Comment

edited above.
          Signature censored

Comment

I've had these on my car for ages now and they ARE safe and I do put the car through it's paces an a daily basis
            Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
            S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Hmm im looking at getting goodrigde hoses for my S2 coupe with stock calipers. Thinking ill try grooved disks, new pads and Motul RBF600 to se what that does. It should last until the money comes in for som enew calipers atleast. They arent cheap if you know what i mean.

Poundering making air guides for the disk to cool them faster to. Should do for some small backroad work atleast.

Atleast i feel safer with a big supplier like goodridge making em than some small supplier. I mean there name stands for something.

Comment

One piece lines on mine. Made by Graham

Seeing as someone has turned off the abiliity for me to link a pic into the thread???, you'll just have to believe me that they are very good

Braided hose has a thick plastic protective sleeving too

Jas
                Last edited by Jas11n; 24 July 2005, 03:55.
                2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Atleast i feel safer with a big supplier like goodridge making em than some small supplier. I mean there name stands for something.
                  You haven't been doing this for long have you?

graham.
                  Signature censored

Comment

Could you S246 crew post some pics of these hoses please?? I have some braided hoses that black diamond made for me, but they dont fit that well and would like to change them at some point.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

In what way would you like to change them Tom? Are yours too short or too long? Latterly i just simply made up longer hoses with appropriate grommets for the original brackets and fixed a 120 degree (i think it was that, offset anyway) banjo straight onto the caliper. Goodrich hoses are designed to be user maintained. ie. the hoses are supposed to be dismantled and rebuilt as a matter of routine maintenance. This also applies to the other proprietory brands like Earls.

graham.
                      Signature censored

Comment

They just seem wrong really. What are you supposed to do to them for maintainence??
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by GlynRS2
                          I have been in discussions with Goodridge about them making a braided brake hose kit for the RS2.
                          The main reason for doing this is a set of OE flexi brake hoses for the RS2 works out at about £125
                          The main reason for this being the outer rear OE flexi hoses are £45 each. Obviously this is a bespoke hose for the RS2 going to the rear Porsche calliper.
                          Anyway a 6 line braided hose kit would work out in the region of £60-75.
                          A braided front hose for the RS2 would probably fit S2s that have other Porsche/Brembo callipers also.
                          Kits could also be done for standard S2 avants and coupes.
                          Is there any interest in this out there?
                          If so vote in the poll.
                          Hi
                          Sorry my english but are you taking about stainless steel braklines kind?
                          If so I could be interessen for my RS2 (year Jan1995) but it has the audi upgrated bigreds... dont know if its diferent.
                          And how many hoses are?

thanx

Comment

What are you supposed to do to them for maintainence??
                            The actual hose, the braided ptfe line, is supposed to be renewed at "X" intervals. Don't ask me what X is, no-one i spoke to knew but now Goodrich (and other manufacturers) have TUV appro. for some of these kits in Germany. There is a load of bo$$ocks surrounding these kits, because people are misinformed/frightened/ignorant/don''t understand. Things like "he went off on such and such corner AND he hads braided brake hoses" - in my experience it has always been lack of adhesion between tyre and tarmac that has ended in tears:-)

graham.
                            Signature censored

Comment

The warnings are real you DO need to keep an eye on them, i blew a goodridge line on a Honda CRX years ago, turns out it was rubbing the CV boot when the suspension was fully compressed, slowly it wore through a few of the metal strands until it went POP at 70mph diving into a 90 degree bend, very scary

Since then i'm very careful that they don’t make contact with anything, i also put a rubber hose around them with a few tie wraps just to protect them.

Mark.
                              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Working...
                              X