Ross Racing Piston - Group Buy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross Racing Piston - Group Buy!

I got tired of waiting for my local guy and I contacted Ross directly. I have set up a group buy if we can get at least 3 sets.
    I need one, can I get two more?
    My local guy quoted me $600/set. I found out he pays $550/set. I can get that same price but I need to order three or more sets for the first order. After that, the price will stay at $550.
    If I buy less than three sets the price is $650/set.
    The price includes pins fitted with spiral locks.

The sets do not need to have the same CR, you can specify your own. If dishing is required, there will be a slight up charge of about $35 for the set.

A good set of rings would run about $100.

I am sending a piston to them tomorrow so they will have it early next week.

I could use help in gathering the necessary information.

1. Bore Size - 81.5mm

2. Crankshaft Stroke

3. Rod Length

4. Engine Type - 5 cylinder turbo

5. Head Type - dual OH cam

6. Head CC

7. Amount heads have been milled - different for each set

8. Valve Diameters

9. Intake valve location when on the seat as compared to the surface of the head (flush, amount recessed, or amount proud).

10. Camshaft lift at split overlap when piston is at T.D.C.

11. Type of Racing - street use, some road racing track time (less than 1%)

12. Type of fuel to be used - 91 octane (?)

13. Will Nitrous or Forced Induction be used, and in what amount - turbo with ____ psi

14. Type of rings you plan to use - supplied by Ross

15. Type of pins you wish to buy, or if you wish to use your own pins, you must tell us the diameter and length of your pins - pins supplied by Ross

16. Options that you wish to add (Lock Removal Indents, Internal Milling, etc.) - no options (?)

17. Method of payment (Visa, AMEX, etc.) - to be through Dave Kase

18. Method of Shipment - through Dave Kase

19. Gasket thickness and block height (amount block has been milled.) - custom per set of pistons

20. Type of rods - ?

I filled out some of the blanks. Please comment and add what was is missing.

Thanks!

Dave K.
    USA
    1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
    2001 S4

Dave I might be interested in a set, but like others asked it would be very important to know how much power they can handle (lets say 250-270 hp litre is the minimum, 300 would be better) and what kind of mileage they would give for a street use.
    Would also be nice to know total weight with pin and rings.

About the missing specs I have some but If someone has different ones please tell (Siena?), I might be wrong. (some of my ones will be different because I'm building a stroker, but I'll specify them later. Need some suggestions I'll ask in another thread)

2. Crankshaft stroke 86,5 mm;

3. Rod Length center to center 144 mm

6. Head CC 55.68 including metal gasket (9:1 CR)

10. Camshaft lift at split overlap when piston is at T.D.C. Ø (zero) for 3B/ABY/ABY ; almost Ø (zero) for ADU on exhaust (1° left at TDC) AFAIK. Eventual use of 7A intake cam would need some mesurements: at TDC intake opened by already 6°, exhaust already closed).

12. Type of fuel to be used - 91 octane (?) .... -> 95 to 98 RON

13. Will Nitrous or Forced Induction be used, and in what amount - turbo with __36__ psi (too much? maybe... but I would stay in the safe side)

19. Gasket thickness and block height (amount block has been milled.) - for the gasket, since I included the standard metal one in my head volume, they don't need its thickness.

20. Type of rods - ? GOOD QUESTION !!

Marco

Comment

I will get answers to the questions tomorrow.

Dave K.
      USA
      2001 S4

Comment

You know i am interested. My head machinist here in town builds top fuel cars. When i asked him about ross pistons, he turned around and pointed to a big block chevy and said, thats got ross pistons. I asked him how much power they were good for, and he casualy told me that the motor would be pushing between 2000 and 2500 horses. My money is on the ross pistons. Unfortunately i don't know what dimensions i need yet. How soon do you plan on ordering the parts? I will have my new crank in about a week. If you can't wait that long, i will make arrangements for express shipping of the crank assembly, or have a compitent mechanic take the measurements for me before its all packed up. Do you have any leads on conrods yet. My machinist said to use oliver rods. Will ross supply the rings, or are we on are own in that respect? Lastly, did ross mention how long it would take to fill the order.
        Thanks
        Hans

Contact me anytime you need to at hans14914@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by mbcouple
          Unfortunately i don't know what dimensions i need yet. How soon do you plan on ordering the parts? I will have my new crank in about a week. My machinist said to use oliver rods. Will ross supply the rings, or are we on are own in that respect? Lastly, did ross mention how long it would take to fill the order.
          Thanks
          Hans

Contact me anytime you need to at hans14914@yahoo.com
          Hi Hans,
          I personally am not in a hurry but some others may be. I thought there would be more folks interested. I need to get a count so I can start pinning down an order date.
          Ross can provide the rings for $75-$100USD. I am going with the rings they provide as I imagine they have experience with them.
          The order should take 3-6 weeks depending on their work load.
          Dave K.
          USA
          2001 S4

Comment

Originally posted by Pisobiker
            Dave I might be interested in a set, but like others asked it would be very important to know how much power they can handle (lets say 250-270 hp litre is the minimum, 300 would be better) and what kind of mileage they would give for a street use.
            Would also be nice to know total weight with pin and rings.

Marco
            The power they can handle is not an issue. Each piston is custom machined based on the application. For higher boost applications, the piston is made stronger (less material removed).
            The make all types of pistons so they know how to make a piston that will last. They just had a forced induction Mustang running high boost hit 250,000 miles!
            The would not give me a weight. Once he gets the info and my piston he will engineer the piston and then he can tell me the weight.
            Everyone should fill out their own sheet specifying the boost and anything else that may be different.
            Download the pdf and email it to me.
            Dave K.
            USA
            2001 S4

Comment

I will have my crank by next friday, and can give you all the dimensions within a day. That puts my order in around the jan 24/25 area. If the group buy doesn't wait till then, i have no problem paying the extra $$. At that price, i will aslo be ordering my rings from ross. Any leads on the conrods yet? I am having my head guy sort out the valves, and can share information when its all finalized.
              Thanks
              Hans

Comment

What measurements do you need from the crank for your piston order?

No leads on rods at this point. I have asked another guy to check into it though.
                Dave K.
                USA
                2001 S4

Comment

I need to know what compression height, and i won't kknow exactly what it will be unit i look at the crank/rod assembly. I need to make sure i have the correct center to center measurment on the rods, and need to make sure i don't need to turn the crank. Its is suposed to be in good shape, but you never know. If you need to, i can go ahead and put my order in, and just specify the compression height and pin size later.
                  Thanks
                  Hans

Comment

Dave, I will fill the form and send it to you ASAP. I'll probably not be able to fill some of the fields, thoug, since I didn't have the chance to talk directly to Ross (couldn't find an email anywere!).

Marco

Comment

By the way Hans,

I'm building a stroker too. Is your block and crankshaft coming out a 2.5 AEL engine?
                      If it has AEL conrods they are 144mm center to center (same as S2-RS2) so you'll definitly need longer rods.

Marco

Comment

Nope. No tdi blocks available here in the states. I am using the crank from a eurovan motor. I will still be using my stock block with raceware studs.
                        Hans

Comment

Originally posted by Pisobiker
                          Dave, I will fill the form and send it to you ASAP. I'll probably not be able to fill some of the fields, thoug, since I didn't have the chance to talk directly to Ross (couldn't find an email anywere!).

Marco
                          Fill out what you can. Most importantly is the distances and boost...
                          Dave K.
                          USA
                          2001 S4

Comment

The latest...

I spoke with George at Ross again. I asked him about street use and longevity.

I already mentioned the longevity, they last! But here is what he had to say about street use...

"These are RACING pistons. They are low silicon forgings which means they are immensely strong BUT do grow more with heat than a standard forged piston. This means greater cold clearances must be run. These greater cold clearances may cause a slight noise (piston slap) at start up."

So, there it is. My pistom will be there tomorrow and the design will begin!

Dave K.
                            USA
                            2001 S4

Comment

Awsome. Three cheers for desmo. Thanks for arranging all this. My hat is of to you.
                              Hans

Comment

Working...
                              X