Door rubbing strips - possible group buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door rubbing strips - possible group buy

I have asked a UK company to give me a quote for making new door rubbing strips for my Avant. It appears that they are NLA with Audi.
    The company have suggested that the most cost effective way to produce them would be to make an extrusion in rubber/pvc which could then be cut to size and profile to match the original. I'm just wondering how much interest there would be out there, as obviously the bigger the order, the cheaper it will be.
    I'm not sure if the Coupe has the same width? Anyone know? This would make it even more popular/cheaper.

I will make it clear from the start that I don't think the finished product will be as good as the original item. This is because the original trims appear to be moulded and it would cost several thousand pounds to make a mould. As the trims are different both left right and front rear, you would need four moulds to do one car. The ends should take the original caps but the cut will never look as good as a moulded finish. One good point is that there will be no metal insert, so nothing to rust.

The company won't give me a price until I send them a sample (anyone got a small piece?). I will update here when I have a price. I'm aiming for under £100 per car.

I have used the company before and their products are normally top notch.

Yes - I'm up for an Avant set
    27.78%
    Yes - I'm up for a Coupe set
    72.22%
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

If it is what I am thinking of, the Coupe are completely different. Middle door molding is fibreglass and the door bottoms are deeper on the S2.

Good luck with the Avant set though.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

There seems to be a lot more interest in the Coupe trims so far. Has anyone got an old Coupe trim (or 6" length) they could send me?

Regarding the Avant door trims, has anyone ever tried fitting the B5 trims? It appears they are still available.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Can you send me your address Dave , Im sure I have one I can send you
        Gav
        S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

coupe door trims are available via audi. or am i wrong?

Comment

Same question here, I placed an order via local dealer. See what he comes back with. As on ebay there is no full sets at the moment for sale. :/

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
              coupe door trims are available via audi. or am i wrong?
              Yes they are but if Dave is looking around the £100 area per car that's a lot cheaper than Audi!!

Comment

I've just not long renewed but if these are being made for the £100 area then am happy to buy a spare set! Cheers

Comment

I’m interested if there around this price for coupe as well please

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                    There seems to be a lot more interest in the Coupe trims so far. Has anyone got an old Coupe trim (or 6" length) they could send me?

Regarding the Avant door trims, has anyone ever tried fitting the B5 trims? It appears they are still available.
                    i have all 6 trims new packed for coupe

Comment

Thanks for the offer but Gav is sending me a length.

Got any Avant ones?

Cheers

Dave
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Just a quick update. I sent seals + direct a length of Avant strip. They can make a copy of the strip on a roll with a groove cut to take a stainless steel insert. I would need to get the insert made up separately and then the pieces would need to be cut to length using a jig. The minimum order is £1k (excluding the steel), so with only 4 votes for the Avant, this isn't going to be viable. There seems to be a lot more interest in Coupe strips but I haven't received a sample to send them.
                        Whilst these rubbers are still available from Audi Tradition for around £200 a set, I don't think it's going to be worth proceeding further. I suggest you buy a spare set while you still can!
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hi tractor dave any chance you could pm me on details of the company that does them as I could do with two sets for my self and I’m sure others would be interested in a group buy. Thanks Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mac2226 View Post
                            Hi tractor dave any chance you could pm me on details of the company that does them as I could do with two sets for my self and I’m sure others would be interested in a group buy. Thanks Michael
                            Are you after Avant or Coupe? They don't make them (yet).
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Sorry coupe I should of said

Comment

Working...
                              X