Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fit a SMOKED turbo gauge in dash vent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fit a SMOKED turbo gauge in dash vent.

Evenin' everyone !

After never finding a complete thread with a step-by-step procedure of how to fit a smoked turbo gauge into the dash middle vent, I thought that after fitting mine in, I should post one !

What you need :

52mm Smoked gauge kit complete with T shaped bypass bit and gauge feed hose.
    Multi-meter
    Dremel
    1.2 inch bell drill
    Soldering iron
    3 feet of black wire
    Set of drilling bits.

First take time to take out the middle vent with the help of a small flat screwdriver, dismantle the horizontal flaps and take out the plastic bit that holds the horizontal flaps on to the main vent.

Using the 1.2 inch bell drill, make a hole in the vent and then finish off the hole by using the Dremel to slowly and carefully trim the hole so that the gauge holds securely and snugly into the hole without having the vertical flaps being bent by the actual fitting of the gauge.
    This step requires patience and commitment, but it's well worth it as if you do this correctly, then your gauge will be held firmly without making the modified vent look as if it has been modified.

Remove the glove box and the lower footwell panel that is behind and below from the glove box. Some of the screws are tricky to get out so remove the easy ones first so that it will be easier to get the difficult ones out.

Splice the ECU hose and fit the T shaped bypass bit to it.

Using a drill that is of the same diameter compared to your actual boost feed hose, drill a hole in the middle dash vent duct.

Remove your head unit for the electric feed of the gauge and using the multi-meter, find the wires that will power the gauge only when the ignition is on.

Guide the boost hose from the T shaped bypass thru the duct till it hangs out from the middle dash vent.

Guide the gauge's electric feed wires thru one of the two small holes that will be just below where the vent duct flushes with the frame of the vent till where you can connect them to the feed wires of the head unit.

Connect the boost hose to the gauge and by pulling slowly on the hose from the footwell side, fit the gauge/vent back where it belongs. Shorten the hose if necessary so that it doesn't hang from the ECU hose.

Refit the glovebox, starting with the difficult screws and then refit the lower panel and voila ! It's done !!!

HTH !

David
    Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

b even better with pics.... nice1 anyway

Comment

nice one david.

I orderd a gauge last week so should be fitting it some time this week.
      Ill post some pictures up too.

thanks
      bo
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

I thought about pics BUT when I tried to take some, I realized that our cheap digital camera doesn't have a macro function and the close-up pics were all blurred and therfore useless...

I hope you'll like the step-by-step, S2 Bo !

David

Comment

Here's the final pic

BOOST GAUGES ROCK !!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

You need the matching ice!
            Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
            England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Hi BRY,

Maybe you can't see it very well on the pic but the amber readings on the gauge are almost the same as the Alpine unit and the A/C unit amber. The red needle matches the head unit's red buttons and the boost gauge retro light matches the unit's display.

So it matches pretty well IMHO

That said, your setup looks great

Comment

mine is fitted,but i havent taken an evening shot yet.I will post soon!
                very nice though!

Comment

Smoking!
                  Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
                  England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

I need this doing
                    ABY Coupe
                    sigpic

Comment

i dont remember who,but someone had asked me about a mount for a 52mm diameter boost gauge like mine.I took it off ebay.de and now the guy making them has a new auction.
                      check it out.ebay auction 8011401283
                      here is mine...painted
                      Last edited by A80Avant; 23 June 2007, 19:10.

Comment

Very nice PapVas - how did you get the RS2 logo on the mounting plate?

Comment

it was there all along.Check out the auction.He makes the mount out of aluminium and has the sign already made there

Comment

where did you get the boost guage with the white background??? I think that setup ROCKS!!!
                            ABY Coupe
                            sigpic

Comment

ahh crap they no longer come with the badge. now it has the 4 rings and its all mirror like look
                              ABY Coupe
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X