Noisy tappets??? GET IT SORTED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy tappets??? GET IT SORTED

Here is a great link to a thread on the ClubGTi forum on how to clean out your old tappets. This is the same method that I use to clean and cure my tappets. It is the same part on the S2 and also nearly all other VAG engines.

Just dont forget to put the same tappet in the same place in the head. And dont mix and match the internals of the tappets.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91268

Good reading boys and girls
    Last edited by audiman; 7 November 2005, 12:08. Reason: Would help if i added the link!!
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

So there is no need to buy new ones if they are worn-old and veeery noisy? Mine are not making any strange noise but i like to know!
    Can someone easily remove tappets? What must be done?
    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Don't spray it in your eyes, or your eyes will fall out and you'll die.
      Very funny.
      Nothing feels fast for long...
      sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

it sounds sooo easy .. dont it... taking out cams etc
        ive never taken apart an engine before and am afraid of taking anything apart that involves the timing... am really worried about putting it back together with the timing out..
        is there some advice or instruction on how to do this? .. cause i know haynes dont cover the s2... is it worth buying coupe haynes manual?

PS: also anyone know how much and what is involved in a complete engine rebuild?

Comment

timing stuff is easy to do, just invest in a tipex pen and mark up the positions of things with the crank at TDC.

Check the engine section for rebuild bits, all depens on how far you want to take it.
          Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
          2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

If you arent technically minded then this topic isnt really one that i would recommend you do!! You could potentially cause a lot of damage if you dont do it right.

The job, is rocker cover off, timing belt off, cams out, tappets out.And then reverse. Sounds easy enough to me, but this is my job
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Job Tom??? I thought it was a hobby
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

thx dude... might give it go..... itll take me ages to learn myself... but im quite "vorschsprung durch technik"... confident with kit around engine.. done timing belt before just if ur gonna take off say cams and (i know not in this instance) cylinder head.. u have to replace it all back in correct position in relation to the crank shaft

Comment

@steve. it used to be! lol
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

So, can you use the old tappets from a 1.6/1.8/D24 to convert to solid tappets? I mean, it sure looks that way on ETKA. Should be cheap - and it's RACE-ish.

Comment

Yes you can, but you will need a huge range of shims to get the clearance correct. What clearance would you use?? Why not start that thred in another section please as this is a guide to repair old ones
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

chriss 5044 get yourself down to evening classes for part 1 in motor vehicle studies you will learn so much .and get a scrap engine from the scrappers and practice on that .you cant beat practical work dosen't matter how much you read you have to do practical work for real experiance.

Comment

thx

Comment

Working...
                          X