Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for the Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro users - Changing the colour of your car

Way off topic, although I know that some of you like to dabble in this this AND the subject matter is a Coupe

I've been trying to figure out how to change the colour of this car from a primer grey to a brilliant black, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. If I create a new hue/saturation/lightness layer and can cycle through the colur spectrum but not black and white for what ever reason. I also added an black/grey opaque overlay but this didn't change anything.

I've attached a jpg image to show I've removed filtered almost everything out of the image except from the body shell and interior. Ideally, I think I want to change the RGB for all greys so that they become a glossy black.

Any chance of a quick master class on how to do this preferably with Paint Shop Pro or Photo Shop please?

Thanks
    Attached Files

I'd quite like to know how to do this too, I know a there are a few photoshop wizards on here
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

This is about a 10 second job.. took the jpg image youd uploaded and made it a similar colour to Ross's s2.

in PS, duplicate the layer (ctrl+j), change its blending mode to overlay, get the hue/saturation controls (ctrl+u), tick colorize and alter the hue value.

You can also change the saturation to give it a weaker or stronger strength, although you probably wont move this quite as much as the hue as it will look silly. You also dont really want to move the lightness.
      Attached Files
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Just re-read your post and realised id jumped ahea da bit, your going for a brilliant black.. a bit harder with that JPG, but the same kind of thing, but black and playing around with the saturation, curves and opacity.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm.. could try this one...

Cut out the area you want to play with, copy it, desaturate it, go to ints blending options and set a gradient with the gradient blending mode set to multiply:
          Attached Files

Comment

And taking into account the sun on the roof
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Sonic, are you using Photo Shop, not Paintshop here? I'm using Paintshop Pro 8, I'm finding some the features are not very intuitive but then thats what trial and error is for.

What I found is that if you create a new levels adjustment layer and then adjust the RGB levels simultaneously you can create a colour which is dark blue which could (possibly) pass for black.

Another method I tried was coverting the car body colour to a grey scale and then adjusting the levels. I didn't think the result was as good though.

BTW, I think you 2nd attempt looks the best as the 3rd and 4th look flat.
              Heres my attempt just with adjusting the RGB levels. I'll try plating with the saturation, curves and opacity as you suggest.

Err since posting the image it looks more blue than I thought it to be .
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Nuvo; 18 July 2006, 15:00.

Comment

or just go Noggy
                Attached Files
                Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

This any good?

That's a couple of minutes with shadow/highlight on CS2.

Audi 80 2.0
                  E21 BMW 316
                  Ibiza Cupra Sport
                  Mk3 Golf GTI colour Concept in black!
                  Mk3 Golf GTI
                  VW Caddy van with my gottis on it

Comment

Good work fellas, not bad at all.

@Rotoryboy, I tried the RS blue when playing around shifting hues, look good but it needs to be brilliant black.

@Phil, that looks pretty good, although I don't think it quite black is it? (a very dark blue I think) I might DL a 30 day trial of CS2 and have a play with that.

Comment

Shiny Black
                      Attached Files
                      Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                      S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Great tool, well worth it!

I could get it black with a bit more fiddlin but the light is a bit strong on the original and if you take the colour out of the highlights it looks greyscale!

Cheers for that though, took me mind of advertising for a couple of minutes!!

Audi 80 2.0
                        E21 BMW 316
                        Ibiza Cupra Sport
                        Mk3 Golf GTI colour Concept in black!
                        Mk3 Golf GTI
                        VW Caddy van with my gottis on it

Comment

Hi,

Yes i was using photoshop. CS2 is pretty good although it wont offer you much more in terms of changing the colour of a car than even photoshop 6.

The last 2 images i did were just gradient fills really, thats why they look flat.

Comment

Might be worth you checking this page out.
                            I'm hopeless with Photoshop but after reading this guide, I could slam every car around, and even give it neon lights!!
                            http://www.digimods.co.uk/tutorials/tutorials.htm

Comment

Working...
                            X