'91 Audi Coupe Shifter - JHM vs VAG 171711247 Gof/Cabrio/Scirocco Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 Audi Coupe Shifter - JHM vs VAG 171711247 Gof/Cabrio/Scirocco Shifter

When the time came to replace my 7A coupe's shifter, I went with VAG 171711247 Golf/Cabrio/Scirocco bolt on replacement three times. Although the feel was great, the Made in China quality does not last more than a few months when the whole inner mechanism drops down from the metal casing.

Then I went with the JHM Solid shifter and no matter how it is adjusted, the feel is clunky, stiff and disliked.

034 is advertising $130 "Made in Germany VW Golf shifter 171711247. It looks same as Made in China quality. Does this last longer?

What's a good source of durable VAG 171711247 shifters?

Thank you for the advice!

Attached Files

Cgharibo,

I'm not certain this issue is non-VAG part specific, however it is a known one and the complete shifter kits had a 3 round holed plate which mimicked the foot-print of the VW part 171711247 (your 1st photo). When installed underneath 171711247, the larger center-hole of said plate was sized to prevent this shifter drop-down phenom. You will have to fashion one, or perhaps Pawel (screen name 'DeS' on this forum) could supply such as he made (makes?) complete kits.

Comment

Thank you, Lago. What is a typical life expectancy out of a 171711247?

the Chinese replicas last about two months. I’ll reach out to DeS.

Comment

Lago is right as always

I never had any issue with VW style shifter, but its necessary to use under plate to prevent droping down.
        I'm ready to help.

Comment

Thank you, both. How do I get such a plate?

Comment

Working...
          X