'91 coupe quattro windshield replacement guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 coupe quattro windshield replacement guide

My coupe's windshield took a very bad hit by a rock.

I am gathering all the tips I can get my hands on. Any advice and resources you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I am in a similar situation. My screen is cracked and will certainly end up in about 1 billion pieces when I attempt to remove it.

My loose plan was to tape the screen on both sides and then cut out the bonding using one of the many "windscreen removal tool kits" available online.

They look to include flat blades and the "cheese wire" type cutter for removal.

Regards
    Jase.

Comment

Something in my memory says that one can't use wire to remove the windshield, could be wrong (might be applicable to the C4).
      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
      2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
      2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
      1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
      1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

I tried the cheese wire type removal kit. Due to the dash angle against the screen it was very difficult to use and I cut through the wire on the edge of the glass a couple of times. The screen edge started to crack and splinter, so I gave up and used an air chisel with a flat blade. You will need something like this to get the old adhesive off the car window aperture. Blades and scrapers will not remove 20+ year old windscreen bonding easily. Mine wasn't very pliable anymore and really needed some persuasion to cut off the car. It's more than likely you will find rust somewhere around the back of the screen. Be prepared to deal with that before putting the new screen in. That's if you can find a new screen.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I am hoping to get my screen removed in the next few weeks so I will also add some feedback and possibly some photos.

​​​​​​Jase.

Comment

Working...
          X