Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wahler thermostat fixes over cooling issue

As the title says really.

Yesterday I finally got round to fitting to my cq20v the Wahler 87deg c thermostat id had on my workbench for a fair while.

I bought it in an attempt to fix the cooling on my car which never seemed to get up to proper operating temperature.

A 10mile drive to work barely lifted the needle off the first 3 marks on the temp gauge unless stationary in traffic. Granted yes it is winter so you might expect it to be a bit cooler than normal but this was too cool. Who knows how much fuel was wasted driving with a rich ECU signal...

New thermostat in and today on the same drive i get to somewhere between the 80 (first big mark on gauge) and 90deg c marks (first thick big mark). Maybe closer to 80 than 90 but it was only single figure temperature today.

Idling i see proper control of the temp with my radiator fan coming on for only 12-13secs at a time.

Well pleased so sharing my big up top tip for Wahler thermostats.

Yep, run one in mine for years now, after disappointing other manufacturers.....

Bit of a pain to fit though!

Comment

I dumped my aux rad a while back which helps access (with no loss of cooling at all) so all thats in the way is power steering pump and that blasted black plastic shroud by side of rad'. I say 'all thats in the way' smiling to myself because getting to the 'stat still took many times longer than it did to swap it.

Comment

Yes, the shroud is the killer....

Comment

Would recommend to only get the Wahler, I had one Mahle that was brand new that didnt work properly.

I've learned my lession and every thermostat Im gonna fit will be cooked in the kitchen and see when it opens at which celsius.

Also I was struggling a lot with airing my system. I remember what seemed to solved it was to fill the hose from the rad to engine to top.
          Before I didnt do that and filled everywhere else and it seemed like the water pump didnt manage to push the water where it should go.

After that I just idled it and lifted the coolant expansion tank a little and "BLOOOP" all my problems from not being too hot / too warm just disappered.

Stays on 87c on idle and 90-91c on hard driving (warm summer with aux rad).

Also:

tempmaaler.jpg C4UrS6USCoolantTempGaugeAnnotated2Rev1.jpg
          https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Sorry, probably being slightly lazy, do you have the Wahler part number? I have this same issue with my coupe with a Mahle thermostat and various others. Would be great to finally fix the issue!

Comment

I believe it is: 4116.87D1

Comment

Will find the box when i get home, I should really have added the p/n to start with - it was a a top tip post afterall!

Comment

Yep it is 4116.87D1. i think i found one at £18 which seems a lot but no more than may be spent on buying 2 rubbish parts before buying the right brand eventually.

Comment

£18 is a bargain if it works right, and you don't have to do the job 4 times to find out whether the £5 ones work or not.

Comment

Perfect, thanks. I'll report back here when I get around to fitting one.

Comment

Hi guys, I found some topic (can't find him anymore) that there was mentioned a holes inside of the Wahler thermostat (to let the bubbles go out through the system). I checked yesterday my Wahler thermostat and there are no holes whatsoever. Could be this an issue regarding of bleeding system out? Currently, I am assembling my stroker engine.
                        Cheers
                        Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

No.
                          I just fitted a new one, no holes and no issues bleeding if you follow the guide.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

No guide..just installed the thermostat as is recommended in the Bentley manual.Or you thought this Bentley manual as a guide?
                            Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

The guide on this great forum
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                              X