7A Valve Cover Screws under Intake Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7A Valve Cover Screws under Intake Manifold

I have a good size oil leak into my spark plug holes from the valve cover gasket of my 7A 20V NA.

I had changed the hex bolts to standard head bolts when I swapped the valve cover gasket sometime ago. Two bolts sit under the intake manifold (IM) that I cant get to.

Is there a way to lift the IM without removing everything in sight or get at the valve cover bolts under the IM without taking anything off?

Thank you!

No, the inlet is bolted to the head so is fixed. Your only chance is make up a custom spanner.

Though you'll need to split the inlet manifold to lift the cam cover and change the gasket, unless you just want to try nipping up the existing cam cover bolts.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Thank you for the ideas.

It appears the two bolts under the IM by the spark plug holes have loosened, which is allowing oil to get into the spark plug hole.

If I can just get to those bolts by the spark plug holes at the middle of the valve cover under the IM, I may be able to save myself 10 hrs of work.

Or, I was considering wedging a piece between the IM and the valve cover so that it presses the valve cover down to stop the leak to buy time.

Comment

I quite like the wedge idea as a very tempory messure... Look up Crow's Foot Spanners they should get at them for you.

Comment

These are the sort of thing your after...

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...-set-10-piece/

Comment

Carrying over from your other thread where your car is using quite a bit of oil, if the cam cover is leaking a fair amount it's surprising the amount that will piss out then evaporate off the engine.

I'm not saying it's the cause but if the cars just started using oil now with a serious leak into the plug wells that could be the cause of your oil loss, I'd certainly want to sort the leak out before worring about pulling the engine appart.

If your car still uses oil after sorting out the leak then a compression test is the next step, at 310K miles it would be good to check this regardless.

Comment

K Simmonds, yes, I agree. I have three plug wells that have oil and one is really bad. So, at the minimum, part of the oil loss is the gasket leak at the plug wells.

Apparently, oil in a plug well is an audi trait across many models.

Check this product out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/235095086930

If this saves me having to replace the gasket, then I dont mind the spending the extra. I have ordered 5.

Comment

Originally posted by cgharibo View Post
                K Simmonds, yes, I agree. I have three plug wells that have oil and one is really bad. So, at the minimum, part of the oil loss is the gasket leak at the plug wells.

Apparently, oil in a plug well is an audi trait across many models.

Check this product out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/235095086930

If this saves me having to replace the gasket, then I dont mind the spending the extra. I have ordered 5.
                you spent $250 on 5 of these sleeves? wow
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by varia View Post

you spent $250 on 5 of these sleeves? wow
                  I hear you! If this is a quick fix to address current and future leaks at a desperate time, it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                  X