General engine noise on a 7A on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General engine noise on a 7A on start up

My 7A has lot of valve noise, ticking on a cold start up. I’ve never put any additives into the oil.

I am thinking about adding something to the oil.

What’s the best way to clean out the noise without any engine work?

Thank you!

A little ticking from the hydraulic tappets is normal at first start up when the car hasn't been used for a while. As long as it clears after a minute or two, no worries.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Yeah, as above just a noisy lifter, best fixed by giving the car a good prolonged thrashing to get the oil nice and hot...

I'd avoid using any 'magic' oil products other than a basic flush, they're all snake oil and a total wate of money at best and at worst could even cause problems. Modern oil has more than enough anti friction and detergant additives to keep an engine healthy.

If a lifter is really bad and won't shut up it has to be replaced or they can be rebuilt but given how cheap VAG lifters are I always bin old one when doing an engine rebuild, I've never had to replace a single lifter. They use the same lifters in just about all models from the late 1970's to the year 2000, everything from 1.0 Polo's to 2.5 oil burning T4 vans use the same part.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
      X